I need experts help...

Farid

F
Hi to all,

first of all I wanna say that I am a complete self taught, I can do V.B applications,but i don't know how to control or send data through my com1 port,I am familiar with s7 200 PLCs what I am trying to do is, i want to move the value in a textbox1(in the V.B form for example) to VD10 in the s7 200 PLC, now I searched alot here in this forum but i couldnt find what i am asking for, all I need is some expert that can help me to do what I wanna do.

ps: I have ppi cable,microwin software,v.b installed on my pc and I can't afford buying some expesive stuff...so plz help me up guys.

thanks in advance.

Farid.s

OPC

Farid
You need to buy siemens OPC in order to be able to connect your VB program to your PLC .
BR

hi hesham,

Can you please explain more? what is opc and does it make communication between my pc and plc easier ?

hesham, plz if you are familiar with what i am trying to do, give more details and bear with me cause as I stated earlier, i am complete
self taught...

thanks.Farid

OPC isOLE for Process Control. It is commonly used concept
to communicate between platforms. There are many systems and
many protocols out there (many are propriatery).
It costs time and money to roll your own drivers even if you
get your hands on specification. That's why OPC is popular,
it takes away complexity but it comes at a price.
Just use search engine of your choice and type OPC and Siemens.
Here are some links to get you started:
http://www.matrikon.com/drivers/index.asp

http://www.softwaretoolbox.com/Abou...ISBU_Partnership/siemensisbu_partnership.html

http://www.merz-sw.com/opc/opc_overview.php3

hi, thanks panic mode,

that help alot, I need to spend some time on that OPC thing, and later when I have learnt what OPC is, i will try it in real world and if I needed some help, I will post again

thanks again panic mode,and to all the guys who helped.🍺

best regards.

I need your help again

hi guys,

panic mode thanks for the links given in ur previous post,

I have downloaded the demo offered by software toolbox
http://www.opcactivex.com/Free_Demo/free_demo.html

but I don't understand what is OPC server and OPC client ?

does it mean my laptop is the server and the plc is the client or vice versa???

sorry if this seem to be silly but I'm only a beginer,and I need your help guys plz,

all I need to do is to connect my PPI cable from my laptop to my s7200 plc and read data and send data...

microwin can read real data from plc when online monitering is active,
so this means that it can be done...all I need is your help experts please

thanks again 🍺

Farid

Hi,

I'm doing a similar project. USE a VB or VBA application to speak with my plc ( S7-200).

There are 2 solutions to do it.
1) Use an OPCserver like the others said

2) Use "MicroComputing" from Siemens, it's a specific software for S7-200 to develop Windows application ( work by ActiveX protocol)
you can dl from MicroComputing
but you have to buy a licence after from Siemens.

I hope that can help you and you unsderstant that I say

Nicolas
-------------------------------------
French Student and Plc beginner

hi coco,

thanks for the link, but still wanna know what is the differance betwen opc server and opc client, I am reading alot from the internet
but still not really understanding what does an opc server does,

Still waitting for some respond from panic mode hopefully :D

best regards.Farid 🍺

The OPC server is the software on the PC which is directly connected (possibly via an Ethernet network, a serial link or whatever method suits the PLC) to the PLC. It scans selected locations in the PLC (or possibly multiple PLCs) at intervals selected in its setup. It then stores these results. The client is any other program on this PC (or possibly other PC's on a network) which wish to use the information cathered by the server. The client may very well be a VB program or possibly a database or spreadsheet. There can be multiple clients all interrogating the server program. Hope this helps.

help please

hi every body,

I am trying to connect and the below error message is being displayed

I dont know why I am being able to connect to my plc !!

man its really frustrating.:(

ooppssss

sorry guys about that,

I don't know yet how to insert images..any how the error is :

unable to connect to server "wcs7 = 2" this server will not be connected in the current online session
state: 80004005 unspesified error.

I am not being able to connect to my plc from micro computing,while I can connect normaly when using microwin... what am I doing wrong ???

plz help :(

In order to send image you have to follow this orders.
1.in the left side of this bord click on VB Enhanced Mode.
2.Save yore picture as Jpg or jpeg file.
3.Click on the Browse botton above this bord to the place you kept your file.
4.Click on Submit Reply

You may use Print screen key to copy your screen image.

Good Luck

hi guys,

still not working :(, siemens help sucks...

I can communicate with the plc while i am using microwin , but still Can't communicate from visual basic, what am I doing wrong, I visited siemens web site but Not a real help,

I am still receiving that error message:

Unable to connect to server "wcs7=2" this server will not be connected in the current online session

state:80004005

any ine out there had the same problem ? ?

best regards.Farid