PLC Tags In Step 7 5.5 (Siemens)

My only experience in programming PLCs is using TIA Portal V13.

Now I'm trying to work with Step 7 Version 5.5 and I'm fairly confused.

I'll limit myself to one question:

Where are the PLC tags? Are they right in front of my face under a different name? Is a list of tags not automatically generated for you as you go the way Portal does?

Well...that was three questions. It looks like my primary problem is that I can't even count to one.

TIA Portal really spoiled me.

Hi!

Little different way to work in S7. In a way you are working with addresses instead of tags. You can assign a symbol to memory addresses, in/outputs, DB's, FB's, FC's etc.

To assign, select the address and hit alt-enter. Or select symbols under S7-program.

Let me know if this answers your question!

symbols.PNG symbols-2.PNG

Hi!

Little different way to work in S7. In a way you are working with addresses instead of tags. You can assign a symbol to memory addresses, in/outputs, DB's, FB's, FC's etc.

To assign, select the address and hit alt-enter. Or select symbols under S7-program.

Let me know if this answers your question!

You have saved me endless suffering and torment. Thank you for the explanation as well as the images. Very, very helpful and appreciated by a seriously stressed out noob.

Going from Step 7 to TIA is the same :). Huge difference!

Don't hesitate to ask questions! :)

It is the future for the S7 series, I am starting to find my way around it myself. The older TIA versions were horrible, V13 is much better, hopefully the future releases are even better.

I think you are best off focusing on TIA :)

You might also want to choose Absolute vs Symbolic programming.
From my memory, right click block folder, select properties, then make choice on "addressing" tab.