Siemens TIA Portal & Port Forwarding to S7-1500

Jason Ozolins

I have a single S7-1500 & HMI connected to a Sierra wireless router (static IP) with port forwarding enabled. I understand it is not a secure way of remotely connecting, but I am just trying to set it up for occasional remote troubleshooting on an nonessential system.

Using Portal, I can not find where I can connect to my router (gateway) and/or define a port. All it wants to do is search the internet for my PLC IP. Anyone give me a quick pointer, I'd appreciate it.

Not 100% sure on the port number, but for the 300 series it is port 102.

In your router, set up a static route to your PLC IP for port 102.

Note, this is considered to be a big no no in regards to safety. I would recommend setting up a VPN connection instead.

Yeah, roger that. I understand about the safety thing. I got that far, and I got the port forwarding set up in the router.. I guess I need to be a little more specific. I'm not sure how to set up my project in TIA Portal to communicate to an IP other than that of the processor.

not done this in TIA, but in Step 7, you just change the IP in your HW config and DONT download it.

So you would enter the IP of the WAN side of the modem there.

Apologize for my networking ignorance, but what do you mean? I'm still trying to learn this type of stuff. I have port 102 of my router forwarding to port 102 of my PLC IP.... likewise, I have port 80 assigned to match both and I can hit the S7-1500 Web Server by using my explorer and going to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80

Tia will automatically connect to port 102. So you don't have to add that.

Hmmmm.. Tried that with negative results. Frustrating when you can hit the web server of the processor with a web browser but can't connect using TIA Portal.

Mmm. Do you happen to use wifi at the house and wired lan at work?

Try switching interface in Tia?

Wired LAN and yes, was on wireless wifi at the office. I've gone thru the different connection options in Tia... I Did change network cards on Tia to my wireless card... It's gotta be something simple I'm missing here...

Sorry. Reached he end of my wits right now. I'll see if I can run a test, but only have 300 and 1200 Plc here. I'll let you know if I come up with something.