Merging GE Proficy Projects

NevisGroup

I am new to GE Proficy (not real impressed so far).
So where along the way some changes were made to one of the HMI's using an older copy of the project. Then changes were made to the PLC with the latest copy of the project.

Now I have two projects. One with the HMI Changes and one with the PLC changes.

Is there a way to import the HMI changes into the current project?

( Last time I was at site, I gave the customer the latest project, as I always do. When I returned to site they claimed that there where no changes and that I should use my copy. Of course a couple of days into it..."oh, no we did not change the PLC, but we made a bunch of changes to the HMI's":eek:)

What software and version are you using?

With Proficy Machine Edition 8.00 and higher, you can open multiple instances. Then just copy panels and changes directly from one project to another.

I would recommend deleting panels from one project before copying to avoid conflicts. After deleting, perform a verify on the HMI.

Which PLC model? If it is a PAC systems PLC there may be an easier method.

The project file saved on the HMI includes all targets. If you have already downloaded your PLC target to the CPU, you could:

1. Restore the project from the HMI
2. Go online with the PLC target and upload from that.

Now you have the latest of both targets. This works best for projects with one PLC and one HMI.

You could also use the same procedure for Series 90 or VersaMax PLC targets, but if have added new rungs there is a risk of losing rung comments or getting the comment text attached to the wrong comment instruction.

The quickest and easiest way is to upload the PLC Target into the Project with the updated HMI especially if this is a PAC as then it will have all documentation included and will not affect the HMI.

I would not recommend that you upload the Project from the HMI as if the project is stored there for retrieval it will contain all Targets but the PLC will not have your changes in it.

There are two HMI's and the PLC is a PAC Rx3i. I am using proficy machine edition 8.0.
Both HMI's were changed, so it sounds like I need to download my project into the PLC then switch to the current HMI project and Upload the PLC?

(There is a lesson to be learned here... you touch it, you own it)
Thanks all

That will merge your PLC changes with whichever of the HMI targets you choose to upload from. If the two HMIs have any differences, upload from the one with the most changes to minimize the amount of work you have to do to merge the changes in the other HMI.

If you are using version 8.0 or higher of Proficy, don't forget what dyoast posted about opening multiple instances of Proficy and copy/paste from one to the other. The copy/paste from one instance of Proficy to another works just as well with earlier versions of Proficy except that with earlier versions you have to open one project, copy the item (a graphical panel for example), close the project from which you copied and then open the project to which you want to copy. A PITA to say the least.

...and if all three Targets are in one Project the HMI's in your customers copy are already up-to-date so make the PAC changes with your copy then upload from the PAC to your customers copy to have all in sync. Then delete your Project and backup the just synched Project for both of you.

Don't forget that if the Project has been 'Saved' in the HMIs they will now have the incorrect PAC Target.

Knowledge of how it all works together is key. Do not assume that it works like the last manufacturers product that you used. ;-)

Last edited: