Panelview Plus 6 1000

ausoverman

I'm getting some Low Memory Warnings on a Panelview Plus 6 1000.

The first message I received was:
"Application MERuntime.exe encountered a serious issue and must shut down."

The second message I received was:
"Low Memory Warning: Program Memory is critically low. Performance may be affected"

2-3 times over a 12 hour period, the screen would lock up. Somethings on the screen appeared in an error state as if the PLC had switched to program mode and others appeared normal. I had to cycle power to get control again.

My initial concerns are:
Firmware 8.0
Log Files consuming memory
ActiveX controls to launch PDF's (launched through monitored PLC bits)
FactoryTalk ViewPoint enabled
PowerFlex 40P and ControlLogix Rack Faceplates w/ parameter files
Maximum Update Rate under Global Connections - (currently at max .05)

Other Project Details:
90 Displays (57 Replace, 33 On Top)
Using Remote Display Control
1756-L71 ControLogix
Internal Machine Ethernet/IP Comms (not mixed with other equipment)
.mer runtime size - w/ FactoryTalk ViewPoint included is 7.6mb
.mer runtime size - w/o FactoryTalk ViewPoint included is 3.5mb

I have been deleting the log files with each transfer.
There is only one .mer saved in the screen.
The VNC server is running.

I'm assuming that this is a RAM memory issue. I'm sure there are some more pertinent details I should include, but it's been a 14 hour day of programming and I'm not 100% right now.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pwin6u93o2s808g/AAAmirnDePNfYfhae-DDK0JHa?dl=0

Last edited:
This likely does not affect many people, but I have found the problem.

I setup a screensaver on the HMI within the WindowsCE platform so I could put custom images in there. There were only 7 480x480 bitmaps. I setup all of the "memory" tags in "Global Connections", to PLC tags and monitored the MERuntime RAM Usage, Total RAM Usage, Available RAM, and Remote RAM Usage. I opened the HMI through the VNC server and captured it with the PLC program in this video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4yttata32ovewc/TS3-0048 Screensaver.mp4?dl=0

It is timelapsed, but you can see the RAM usage climbing with each transition past 250,000 KB. I also ran another test where I pushed buttons, opened screens, and launched ActiveX controls as rapidly as possible to try and see it fail. It never missed a beat and the RAM usage maxed at 59,924 KB. Back to the default AB logo screensaver for now.

Are the images in JPG or BMP format? One way to check is to open the image in MS Paint, then perform a save as 24-bit BMP under a new filename. If the two file sizes are the same it was a BMP. If not, then just use the newly save image.

Try slowing down the picture rate and see if that changes anything?

FTView 8.0 just came out end of last year, so if you still have a problem I would definitely send that to the AB tech support and have them fix it.

They were originally JPEG, compressed to 480x480 and then converted to 24bit Bitmap in Paint. There are 7 images and they are 600-900 KB each. Unfortunately there is no adjustment on transitions or rate. Only the intensity of the display and the timer for it to initiate the screensaver.

I have not seen anywhere in AB literature where they talk about setting up a screensaver within Windows CE. I expect they will say this is not supported, but they are looking at it.

I see you are from Kelowna, flown in there a few times to work in Vernon. Nice Place!

You could try changing them to 640x480 BMP to exactly match the PVP resolution ? worth a try. But sounds more like an issue that only AB can fix.

The two trips I had to AL were both during snow storms! Not what I expected from the warm south, but the shrimp and grits were fine.