RSViewSE 4 upgrade...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working on a system that has a RSViewSE vers.4 project upgraded to FactoryTalk ViewSE vers.7

I can't open the vers.4 project, I can only see the vers.7 result, and the "Events" folder is empty. Is this something the upgrade "lost" in the conversion?

Of course I can rebuild or remake whatever the client wants, but I need to see what was configured in the vers.4 application.

For commercial reasons I can't post the .APA file, but if anyone can help me identify the contents of the Events configuration I can PM the vers.4 file.

Do you have access to the source of the V4 project?
If so, just add the events into the application.

I don't know of any inherent problem with upgrading, aside from 95% of everything getting corrupted. I never do an in place upgrade on FTView, I create a new project, and then manually add all components back in.

I have the source, and the .APA

I actually have the machine the V4 application was used on, which has been replaced with a new PC and V7.

I don't have an EVRSI license to open the V4 application, only a FactoryTalk Activation for RSViewSE, which is only good for V6 and above.

To be honest, I'm not even sure if the V4 application has any events configured... do you know of a way to see if they were without opening the source... perhaps by looking in one of the various folders ?

You have me confused, SE doesn't use .APA files, that is for PanelViews.
In any event (NPI), Events are in files of type .EDS, in the EDS folder under the HMI Project.
You aren't going to be able to read it with Notepad.

I think Standalone/Station RSView SE applications that use the FactoryTalk Local Directory do use *.APA files and the Application Manager utility.

But I don't know anything about the structure of the Event file.

Ken is correct, this is a SE Stand-Alone project, using a local directory.

Working on an RSView to SE conversion right now. Yes- you can create an APA (archive file) from a SE project (.SED). You could check the old folders in your RSView project. I found a file called Events.eds in the EDS folder located in the RSView project folder.

Last edited:
Working on an RSView to SE conversion right now. Yes- you can create an APA (archive file) from a SE project (.SED). You could check the old folders in your RSView project. I found a file called Events.eds in the EDS folder located in the RSView project folder.

The problem is the V7 application has been run on the original PC, and the EDS folder is now blank....

Only opening the original V4 project will enable me to see what events were configured (if any) before the conversion to V7.

All I am getting from my client is "the data-logging isn't working", but no-one seems to know what "data-logging" was taking place.

I desperately need to open the V4 project in RSViewSE, but I don't have an EVRSI license to open it, only a FactoryTalk Activation for V7, and RA don't want to let me have a temporary V4 EVRSI activation.

I really can't understand their reluctance, considering the V7 activation was an additional purchase prompted by the migration of the project from a failing PC to a new-build. If they make me pay for a V4 license, they've effectively been paid 3 times to maintain 1 project that has moved once, from V4 to V7

Not getting anywhere with this, has anyone got V4 (EVRSI activation) I can PM the applications to so they can tell me the alarm, data, and event logging setup.

Or can I "borrow" a RSViewSE V4 EVRSI license. I know it can be transferred over the internet, did it once a few years ago.

Let me dig a little; I have a VM with a V4 SE Standalone project and I'll make sure it's properly activated. I'll send you a PM.