AB PanelView Plus 7 - Can't Connect

MechE_87

I am new to using PLCs and HMIs. I have an Allen Bradley CompactLogix L2 controller and a PanelView Plus 7 HMI (both new units). I've connected to the PLC just fine but cannot connect to the PanelView 7. I've created a small program to download to the PanelView but when I go to use the transfer utility it shows a yellow question mark next to the PanelView Plus. It shows the same thing in RSLinx Classic and FactoryTalk Admistration Console. If I select it and try to download it throws an error (see image attached).

I have set the IP address of the devices to:
PC: 192.168.20.1
PLC: 192.168.21.5
HMI: 192.168.21.6 (this was set manually through the terminal interface)

I have the Ethernet from the PanelView connected to an Unmanaged switch which is connected to the PLC and the PC.

I'm not sure what to try next. If I can't connect and upload programs to the HMI I'm guessing I can't communication and pass tags back and forth between it and the PLC. Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Transfer_Utility_Unknown_Device.jpg

First, be aware that you're using an IP address configuration that is *usually* used with a "Class C" network where only the last octet is unique.

Your network appears to be a "Class B" network where the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 (or something similar) that allows those addresses to communicate, but the risk of someone assuming those are Class C addresses and putting in a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask on a PLC/HMI/PC is very high.

If RSLinx Enterprise can browse the PanelView but not identify it, then it doesn't have the correct PV+ firmware identities in its hardware database. This is not EDS file related; RSLinx Enterprise will need an update or patch to actually recognize the terminal.

The message you posted a screenshot of is an ordinary default warning; quite a lot of users omitted a go-to-config button and were mystified when they couldn't go to configuration mode with a keypress combination like they could with the old PanelView Standard.

Even if RSLinx Enterprise can't recognize the terminal, you can still use an SD card or a USB drive to transfer the *.MER file to the terminal and try to run it.

You just added the logic module manually, right?
We have that problem yesterday when we try load the file.

Just delete it. The Logic module will comes out by RS anto-browsing after the driver is connected.
what Ken said is good.

Try another ip address which is working under the subnet (255.255.0.0).
Subnet 255.255.0.0: 1st Octet decimal range of Class B is 128-191.
Subnet 255.255.255.0: 1st Octet decimal range of Class C is 192 – 223.

The IP address I typed were a typo. They all start with 192.168.20 and only the last octect is different. I double checked on the PV that the IP was indeed set correctly.

It looks like if I remove the PV is RSLinx it repopulates with the yellow question mark still.

I talked with Rockwell support yesterday afternoon and there is a known bug that causes this issue. I haven't tried the patch yet but will soon. I'll post how it goes.

Thanks for the follow-up. At least we don't have to solve a network addressing mystery.

The fact that the PV+ shows up again in the RSLinx Enterprise browse after you delete it proves that the basic communications between the PC and the PV+ terminal is sound.

I'm not sure if this should be categorized as a "bug" or just that the hardware/firmware database of devices that RSLinx Enterprise knows about isn't properly updated.

The solution remains the same; RSLinx Enterprise needs to be patched or updated to get support for that PV+ working. Until then, you can use an SD card or USB drive to transfer the *.MER.

Protip; the PV+ only looks in one specific filesystem path for *.MER files.

If you save a *.MER to SD or USB, the PV+ will create that directory for you.

If you're starting from scratch, you need to put the *.MER into this directory path on the removable media:

X:\Rockwell Software\RSViewME\Runtime\

Note that there is a space in "Rockwell Software" but no spaces in "RSViewME".