Stuck on a programming HSC function in AB's CCW.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is my first project using Allen Bradley's new(er) CCW... and I'm stuck.

Here's the application: This is a small plastic extrusion machine. I'm programming a shear that cuts the plastic into sheets, at the desired length, with just one discrete output for the shear solenoid. I have the following hardware:

Allen Bradley Micro 850
2080-MOT-HSC card (high-speed counter for the encoder input)
Encoder, with a wheel that travels on the plastic (to measure distance)
Panelview C600, (to enter sheet size and control the shear)

Seems pretty straight-forward, right?....

1. The operator enters the inches into the PV and pushes a manual-cut button to make the first cut and activate the function block counting the distance.

2. When the distance equals the set-point, the Micro activates an output for 2-3 seconds (variable set by operator) and resets the count.

3. This continues for hours until the "stop" button is pushed.

I started by downloading and installing the UDFB, RA_HSCPlugIn. It supports mode, 0,2,4,6,8,10,12.

I'm stuck on one little problem.... I can't figure out how to get the counter to reset. Part of this is inexperience, part of this is the fact that the UDFBs that are downloaded and installed to use with the HSC don't have a reset. I could re-initialize the card when Encoder_Count = Set_Point, but that doesn't seem like a good option.

There are function blocks that utilize the built-in HSC (but not the HSC card) that have an external reset. I figure I could utilize the same relay that powers the shear solenoid (24vdc coil for the PLC, 120vac solenoid) for the reset. BUT... Those FBs are much more complex to program and I don't understand some of the fields.

Is anyone experienced enough working with HSC function in CCW to give their input? I'm going to keep experimenting, but I'm hoping someone has some good advice.

Thanks,
Brian

I know this is very old, but did you ever solve this? Because I have the exact same problem and have absolutely NO idea on how to reset the counter.

Unfortunately, the HSCCmd is not available in the RA_HSCPlugin function :( Edit; and since I'm using the MOT_HSC extension module, the HSC function is not available either.

The program I sent you called ADCO_Glue does what your seeking on the UDFB routine called ENCODER_VALUE.

Just above the UDFB there is an initialize bit. Its pulsed OFF on Rising trigger of the HomeProximity switch. The OR statement is simply incorporating my test bit when I was doing this on my bench, you don't need it, but its handy.

By pulsing this initialize bit off, we are loading the reset value that you see in the ANY_TO_REAL statement under the UDFB getting the count value of 0 to the tag "HSC_PULSE_RESET_VALUE".

Its a simple as that. There is no reset bit, no start required. Keep in mind that in my particular example, it is a reverse coil that I used for the Initialize bit!

Sounds like your getting there!

I don't remember what I did to solve the problem, only that it worked. Cool story, though... It was a small plastic extruder that my customer purchased for "scrap" price. I re-did the controls of the 1980s vintage machine with a Micro 850 and a 6" Panelview to replace a whole panel of knobs and switches. The customer made a bunch of product over several years, and then sold the machine for an incredible amount of money- many times what he had into it.

That being said, it's been a long time since I worked on that machine, and the details about how things were programmed escapes me. I tried attaching the routine with the HSC, but it looks like I'll have to send it to you, since it is a 7z file. You can look at it and see if anything helps. I just remember a moment where I figured out how to do it, and it probably wasn't how I expected it to work.