RSLogix 5000 Emulate "Speed of Time"

Saulo35

Hi,

Has anybody been able to slow down the execution by entering values < 100% in the Configure Emulation/Speed of Time panel? I tried several times, even clicking "Confirm Time % Change", but the execution speed appears to stay the same, that is, 100%.

I read the manual but there are no tricks or anything else to do other than entering a new "Speed of Time" value.

I am running RSLogix 5000 Emulate 21.03.00 (CPR9 SR5.1).

Thank you

I haven't ever done that, but I'm curious as to why would you even want to?

And for what it is worth, the emulator really isn't all that good for testing a program, as it doesn't fully emulate the PLC CPU any way. I used to play around with it just to test logic constructs, but often found different results when the same code was dumped into a real CPU if the logic was anything beyond run of the mill ladder.

Hi rdrast,

I actually find the RSLogix Emulate 5000 fully functional and extremely useful, except for that "Speed of Time" thing. I received an RSLogix 5000 PLC program and its associated FT View application from a supplier, an OEM. My job is to add our own code to their PLC program. As such, I am sort of reverse engineering their PLC/HMI so I understand how their sequences work.

Everything is working perfect. I added some logic to their PLC program so I get some process emulation (valves open when commanded open, etc.). I can see the automated sequence evolving through the HMI (FT View's "Test Application").

The only reason I want to slow down using "Speed of Time" is because some sequences happen relatively fast (30 s) and I would like them to happen 10 times slower so I can document what's happening without having to introduce more changes to the PLC code (it limits the range of entries via PLC code, for instance, for timer PREsets).

I hope this made it clearer.

Thank you,

P.S.: I have been emulating SFC (Sequential Function Charts) and PIDE with AutoTune as well in previous occasions. I worked really well.

I haven't ever done that, but I'm curious as to why would you even want to?

This is common in motion applications. To accomplish this one doesn't actually slow down time but make things happen as a function of virtual master. A virtual master can be told to move at one inch per second but what if you simply consider the units of inches to be seconds? Then the virtual master "moves" through time at 1 second per second. If you slow down the virtual master to 0.5 seconds per second then you have effectively slowed down the process by one half. if you speed the virtual master up to 2 seconds per second then the process will run twice as fast. This also allows one to move backwards in "time" by moving the virtual axis backwards.