Program to Reverse a NO Float Switch

iadapt

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey guys, I am stuck. I have a NO float switch that I need to program using RSlogix 500. I need the float switch to turn on when the float switch is not energized (hanging down with an open circuit). The turn off when the float gets up-right. (in a NC condition). Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have tried counters, CU & CD. But that doesn't seem to be the right instructions to use, any ideas?

]/[------------------( )

XIO = Output ON

I think this is all you asked for in your post.
Not sure how you were incorperating the timer or counters unless you want a delay to happen between switching modes.

BCS

Just put a branch extension around the output and add your second ouput on the branch extension.

Edit: that is if you want both outputs to go on and off at the same time together.

If they need to be oposite of each other then write one like this:

]/[------------( )

and the other ouput like this:

] [------------( )

BCS

Last edited:
When the circuit opens it turns on an output. This output is a normally energized condition. When it closes AGAIN it turns on another output. each output is on for only 10 seconds ans then turns off. Neither output is on simultaneously.

Please spell out EXACTLY what it is you would like to know and how you want this to work and I will do my best to give you the correct answer.

This will be much faster than adding another piece to the puzzle after every reply.

BCS

Sorry I've been burning the midnight oil just had to crash. What I have is an an input that when it is de energized needs to start an output. Then when the input is re energized to start another output. Now these two actions are a routine and they count on each other. As the first action opens a valve and the other closes it.

Last edited:
Sorry I've been burning the midnight oil just had to crash. What I have is an an input that when it is de energized needs to start an output. Then when the input is re energized to start another output. Now these two actions are a routine and they count on each other. As the first action opens a valve and the other closes it.

Looks like you got what you asked for in BCS's picture in the above post, including the timers you mentioned.

Ok, you also said you only want each of these outputs to be on for 10 seconds each in your last post right??

If this is the case then the 4 rungs I gave you above will do the trick.

Rung 1 = XIO (your input) to a TON T4:1 (Preset for 10 seconds)

Rung 2 = XIC (T4:1/TT) to your output #1
(this way your ouput 1 is only true for the 10 seconds T4:1 timer is timing and float switch is de-energized / open)

Rung 3 = XIO (your input) to a TON T4:2 (preset for 10 seconds)

Rung 4 = XIC (T4:2/TT) to your output #2
(this way your ouput 2 is only true for the 10 seconds T4:2 timer is timing and float switch is energized / closed)

I know my screen shot above is a little fuzzy so this post should make things clear for you.

EDIT: dginbuffalo beat me to the punch while I was typing, Thanks

Last edited:
I sense that there is a disconnect here and some misunderstanding about the difference between how something is wired and the XIC -] [- and XIO -]\[- computer instructions. I suggest you go to youtube and and search for Ron Beaufort. Ron is a forum member who has made a series of videos that covers this subject. He covers it as good as or better than anyone I know. Seeing it in action the way he illustrates it in the video with his coverage of "bit boxes" should help you immensely and clear a lot of things up for you.

Are you opening and closing a motor operated valve?

Last edited:
I need a NC hardwired circuit to turn on a NO instruction. Then start another NO instruction when the NC contact closes again. I have a two wire NC float and I need it to open a valve when the tank is too low and then close a separate valve when the float rises again.