I and v

I guess you're a programmer with limited knowledge of electromechanics. In my opinion a bad base to become PLC programmer, but as said: that's my opinion.

The short answer to your question: voltage drops in a circuit, current doesn't.

no sir i am not a programmer
i am just a instrument technician
i have so many things to understand about instrument so i want to know

A simple matter of economics, really, and Kirchoffs laws and just simplicity.
If you have a current loop say 5 kilometers long,
and you inject a current of say 10 milliamperes into that loop from a source,
then if you break into that loop at any point and measure the current
it must be 10 milliamperes.
With voltage measurement, over the same distance,
the cable resistance comes into play, however tiny it may be,
which would depend on the device reading the voltage signal.
It would be required to use a second pair of wires to measure the voltage at the source,
an example of this practice being a loadcell.
These sensing wires would also have a resistance, therefore a tiny voltage drop.
A current source on the other hand will automatically compensate for cable resistance.

Last edited:
In addition to Liam Moran's explanation: using current rather than volts, also means that wire breaks are detectable.
A wire break does not effect a voltage signal going out (except for the devices beyond the broken wire), so an signal monitor located close to the signal source, will not detect the fault, but in a current loop, the break stops the current in its entirety, and thus an alarm can be raised regardless of the location of the signal monitor device.

Another great advantage is that you can measure the current without breaking the circuit and without a electrical connection.

Another great advantage is that you can measure the current without breaking the circuit and without a electrical connection.

Actually, without a special meter this is NOT true. Using a regular multi-meter you MUST break the circuit and put the meter in series into the circuit to measure the current signal.

For a VOLTAGE signal you do not have to break into the circuit to take measurements.

Back
Top Bottom