Rockwell K300 jogging

jonmelia

I am using a A-B Kinetix 300 Indexing servo drive and I need to be able to perform jogging motions. According to A-B Tech support there are no jog functions available on this drive.
The logic I am using I will show in the next post. The problem is a slow response so it is difficult to start and stop exactly where you need to. Any ideas
The next post has a picture of the logic.

AB jog logic.jpg

Where do you think the "slow response" is coming from ? What is the RPI of your Ethernet connection to the K300 ?

I've done manual jogging using discrete inputs and similar logic and got very good performance.

I assumed the opposite, that the HMI button was a permissive or mode selector, and that the momentary jog command came from the Local Input bit.

(oh, and welcome to the Forum, Jon !)

Thanks for the welcome!
I feel a little embarassed as I did not check the update rate of the panelview screen. I put it at the fastest update and it seems to work much better. Thanks for the help and jog to my memory.

We just got a Kinetix 300 to replace a obsolete Atlis/Copco drive. We have a jog function from our plc which is a a-b SLC 5/02. I think I have figured out most of the inputs needed to get us back into production using a set index length for the time being, but I still need to know how to do the jogging function. Currently I have the JOG output from the plc going to a free input on the drive but I don't know what to do from there and the user manual doesn't help any. We are using the drive as an index unit to advance the material through our thermoformer. There are times we want to jog to clear the machine of material. Someday I want to figure out how to be able to set the index length from our old style plc to the new drive. It used to be done with the old system using digital inputs to select various length amounts and the drive would add them together to produce an almost infinite index length. Any help somebody out there can give me will be very much appreciated.

Where do you think the "slow response" is coming from ? What is the RPI of your Ethernet connection to the K300 ?

I've done manual jogging using discrete inputs and similar logic and got very good performance.

Ken, do you have an example of this program? Could you please share it?

Best Regards

I got this Sample program a long time ago.
I think I got it from Ken, or at the least he pointed me in the right direction.
It worked great!

I got this Sample program a long time ago.
I think I got it from Ken, or at the least he pointed me in the right direction.
It worked great!

Im looking for a program based on a RSLogix5000 software.
Im using a Kinetix300 conected to a L32E Compact Processor and Im trying to achieve a "jog-like" movements.

Please replay if some has an example.

I am using a A-B Kinetix 300 Indexing servo drive and I need to be able to perform jogging motions. According to A-B Tech support there are no jog functions available on this drive.
The logic I am using I will show in the next post. The problem is a slow response so it is difficult to start and stop exactly where you need to. Any ideas
The next post has a picture of the logic.

Jonmelia, is there any chance that you can send me your program as an example... im trying to achieve the same here.

I have seen it done by putting the drive into velocity mode and controlling it from the CompactLogix, but you need to set the K300 into Ethernet Mode on the main page of the drive software and the send a value to the tag "ReferenceSource" 1=velocity mode, 3=Position mode. you will need to read the manual for the other modes.
The K300 must be in the controler tree for this type of operation.

Alan

Im looking for a program based on a RSLogix5000 software.
Im using a Kinetix300 conected to a L32E Compact Processor and Im trying to achieve a "jog-like" movements.

Please replay if some has an example.
Oh, I should have realized it was RSLogix 5000 from your Screenshot.
Don't you need the L32 ERM for motion?

Oh, I should have realized it was RSLogix 5000 from your Screenshot.
Don't you need the L32 ERM for motion?

The K300 is an indexing servo drive and is not capable of interpolated motion, so you do not need a ERM PLC.

Also the L32E is one of the "Old" Compact Logix PLCs and has only 1 Ethernet port and is not capable of controlling Motion Drives such as the Kinetix 350 or 5500.