Siemens APT1.9A Working Setup with XP?

dguedez

Hello everyone,
I have a Siemens TI545-1106 PLC. I also have APT1.9A installed on a XP SP3 laptop. I was able to use an Allen-Bradley serial cable db9-db9 to do a "quick" verify and a download to the PLC but it seems i can only do it once. When I try to do a download a second time, it sometimes hangs at "intializing commmunication or it freezes at 51%. Closing the program and restarting it doesn't seem to work. I have to restart my machine or cycle power to the PLC (clears memory). It seems the serial port (com1) does not get released by APT. The "debug" option apt doesn't seem to work for me. Could it be i need to set the controller in program mode? How do if the controller is in run mode or program mode?
I have very little experience with this PLC and the APT software so I need tips and hints on what should I look for when setting up APT1.9A on XP.
My baud rate is set at 19.2k on the PLC with the dip switches. I set my serial port on my xp laptop to match that baud rate. What should the parity, data bit, and stop bit parameters in windows be set? I put data bits = 7, parity=odd, stop bit=1, is this correct?
if anyone has experience installing APT1.9A on XP or Windows 2000/NT, please share your wisdom. What should i configure in XP? What should configure in APT1.9A?

(I'm aware there are other such as workshop by fasttrack and aptnet by CTI would be a much better choice for editing the ti545 but i have to use apt1.9 do to circumstances beyond my control)

Have you tried running APT in a DOS VM?
APT relies pretty heavily on very close interaction to the comms UART, XP keeps that virtualized, which can cause problems.