hi

First of all they are the primary communication method for various control manufacturers. Can you match a prominent controls manufacturer to each communication method? (Though Modbus is a little more widely used than its originating company.)

hi bernie thankyou for taking time to reply so kind mate

i have wrote up for each protocol system but cant find anything for advantages and disadvantages between them wanted to compare between them my idea was to add a table of advantages and disadvantages between them

Here are a few things to consider when making comparisons.

Speed
Cost of implementation (ease of use, cost of the wire, additional hardware required)
Open or proprietary
What you can do with it (exchange data, upload/download files, control)

They are all pretty old serial communication standards on their way out. ModbusRTU (what you're talking about) has been superseded by ModbusTCP which is exactly the same but faster and uses ethernet; ProfiBus has been superseded by CANopen (for low end stuff) and ProfiNet (high-speed and motion); DF1 has been superseded by Ethernet/IP.

As far as what is better than the other:
Modbus (RTU and TCP) is the most open, easy to understand and pretty much everything supports Modbus. It's also not that fast.
Ethernet/IP is quasi-open and is Rockwell's baby. It has a confusing name (the IP is for industrial protocol, not Internet Protocol, a better name would be EtherCIP or something). It is non-realtime, non-deterministic, making it bad for motion control, but it can get beefed up with CIPsync to make it okay for low end motion control. It is wide spread only because Rockwell PLCs are wide spread.
CANopen is, as the name implies, open and it is very fast and capable. It is non-deterministic, so it isn't good for motion control. This protocol is all around better than Ethernet/IP on paper and in the field as far as capability. It is medium independent, so it can run on ethernet, but a lot of devices still use terminating resistor based cabling, which is not what you want.
Profinet is realtime, deterministic, and ethernet based (Powerlink, EtherCAT and SercosIII are the other big realtime, deterministic ethernet protocols), making it good for motion control. This requires higher end hardware, so it should be more expensive than the others to implement, but prices vary.

Profibus PA was specifically designed for field instrumentation and for intrinsic safety (I/S), a major requirement in the process industries.

My observation is that there has been little penetration of Canbus in the process industries.

Modbus is an open protocol, its spec are published on the web. Modbus sees wide use in HMI and SCADA and is a common driver in OPC servers.

Profi(anything)is licensed technology through Siemens.

I'm told that the DF-1 spec was published at one time, but I'm not sure of its status.

Back
Top Bottom