OT- xfmr help, please

katratzi

We had a contractor install a 9kva 480 delta primary to 208/120 wye secondary transformer. This contractor only ran a ground wire from the primary disconnect to the X0 terminal secondary. They did not run a jumper to the lug attached to the transformer casing, and also did not run a grounding electrode conductor to the X0 secondary. My question is, is the ground from the primary disconnect all that is required by code? Everyone here seems to think so...

On the one hand, I could help if I had a picture of the inside of every panel going back to the Main Service Panel AND you answered the dozen questions I had, which I could shoot to you if you PM me, but in a nut shell:

No matter how any panel or device is grounded and bonded, (metal conduit, "grounded wire" vs. "grounding wire" questions etc..., it is only safe and correct IF all the grounding and bonding is correct ALL THE WAY back to the Service Panel, I cannot in good conscience say "The "ground" wire you speak of is probably doing this while the metal conduit is doing that...or even just ask a few questions when many are needed to be 100% sure.

I recommend asking your local inspector if you have concerns. Improper Grounding and Bonding can cause death by electrocution. (I inspected Grounding and Bonding applications overseas using the NEC and BS 7671 depending on the Camp.)

Regards

Last edited:
Sherlock4me-

this is a large facility, and the panel containing the circuit breaker that feeds the 480 volt disconnect is far, far, and away from the incoming main service. At this point, just for now, the assumption is that this panel that contains this breaker is grounded and/or bonded correctly. We are just trying to ascertain if the grounding for this newly installed transformer is correct and meets code. I know that this transformer is considered a separately-derived system (SDS), but since the contractor did not ground anything, and my opinion on how it should be grounded does not match what our engineering department has told me, we just wanted some input. I know this forum is filled with geniuses (some even with a capital 'J'), I figured I could start here as well as anyplace else!

Section 250.104(D) of the 2011 NEC requires that where a separately derived system/transformer supplies
power to an area, the grounded conductor shall be bonded to the nearest available point of the metal water
piping system(s) and the exposed building frame structural metal in the area served by the transformer.

It got too voluminous with NEC SDS definitions, "grounding" vs. "grounded" conductors. U.S. NEC ? BS 7671? Metal conduit? Power service?, gen.'s?

so I PM'd you.

Good Luck and regards and congrats on being safety minded

Last edited:
thanks everyone for the replies! 'we' decided to ground the xfmr X0 to building steel and to nearest available cold water pipe!