rslinx as a service?

joeparrish

We have a vm running factorytalk se on that we have rslinx so factorytalk can talk to a slc 500.

When we loose power to the plants we have to turn rslinx off and on to regain communications with this rack.

Currently rslinx is set to run as a service

tech support is saying this should not be run as a service although all of our other servers are running as a service

I cannot try this until the plants are down so I am trying to get any other info on this, I read the rslinx manual and it makes no mention to running as a service or not

That's AB for you.
Unless something has changed recently, Rslinx is set to run as a service by default.
On every pc I have looked at / installed it on, its set to run as a service.

On the programmers pc's, it is NOT running as a service.
We have to change the communication configuration almost every time we hook up to a plc.

regards,
james

I understand how to change it what I am trying to understand is should it be set as a service or not

every computer we have running has it set as a service and have had no issues anywhere else

I guess i want to know when to run as a service and when not to

In Rightclick Mycomputer -- Manage -- Services and applications : what setting you have applied for RSLinx i.e. Manual or Automatic???
Try by chaning this setting.

I just looked at a recently configured station that is running FactoryTalk SE and it is set as follows i Services:

RS Linx Classic: Manual
RS Linx Enterprise: Automatic

Another thing to check - when you start RSLinx, select the "RSLinx Control Panel" in the Start/All Programs menu - when the control panel starts there is a check box to select Always Run As A Service. If this is checked RSLinx will auto start with Windows as a service.

I found this out because you can not add a DF-1 driver in configure drivers if running as a service.