Activate RSLogix and FTView on two computers

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

I have bought a new computer and wan't the RA programs on the new one as well. How can I solve this? In the help of the RA directory it says that I should make a disk that contains the activation and insert the disk in the laptop I want to use. But it says It can only be done in Win 95 or 98. I don't want to invent the wheel again, surely someone else have had the same problem as me.

/Tim

You can't duplicate activations.

If you want to share the licenses, you can set one up to be an activation server, and the other a client. The 2nd computer can then "borrow" licenses from the host. Or you can get a hardware dongle and move the hardware dongle from computer to computer as needed.

You will not be able to run say RSLogix on one computer, and RSLogix on the second computer at the same time.

You can install the software on multiple computers, and activate them one at a time using an activation linked to a USB "dongle".

You simply put the dongle into any computer and start the software which activates via the linked dongle.

I use one, because I have a desktop at home, and two or three laptops I use out and about..

I also have on it the activations for a client's multiple installations (3 locations) of FatoryTalk View Studio.

It is a very convenient way of moving the activations around, without having the pain of re-hosting them continually.

Thank you for the answers, it is this "dongle" I want to create. I can't find how to do it :/

You have to purchase the dongle from Rockwell.

However, you might be able to achieve the same thing by using a USB Ethernet adapter and tying the activation to that instead. When I renewed my 2015 license I saw that the activation manager detected my USB adapters as valid hardware to tie the license too. o you might save yourself $100 from RA and gain added functionality with an extra Ethernet adapter.

Years ago I did this with a portable USB platter hard drive as well, won't work with Flash/SSD drives.

Ah ok, well I'll just satisfy with the product on one computer then.

New problem occured, I couldn't open my projects on the new computer so I thought I would download the latest update. RA wan't me to state what company name my product is registered to, I have no idea. Where can I get this?

Should be in your company's toolkit, so talk with the person that did all the ordering/purchasing.

We can't find it anywhere. Can I somehow get the information I entered when I registered the software (I don't even recall register the software)