Ethercat on Step7

Manglemender

Can anyone offer advice on connecting EtherCat devices to S7-317-PN/DP PLC?

We have 8 devices being built into a machine (free issued) that have an Ethercat interface and sooner or later someone is going to ask "can we connect them to the PLC?"

I've come up with two thoughts so far:

1) anybus module but I think I would need a master for 8 slaves
2) Vipa Speed7 CPU with Ethercat master acting as go between.

Any thoughts or advice?

Nick

I'm also using Beckhoff EK9300 I/O with a Siemens PLC system and I was wondering why the EK9300 has its own I/O area even when there's no I/O cards attached to it. Is this normal for Beckhoff? Can I free up that I/O area or do I just have to live with it? Thanks!

beckhoff_ek9300.JPG