Kinetix drive axis removed

Kataeb

a Rockwell Kinetix 7000 drive and motor are actually removed from a machine. the project was engineered with RSLogix 5000 using motion axis control through Sercos interface 1756-M16SE. the fiber optic ring is closed again without the presence of the above drive.
what is the simplest practical way to run the machine again without any faults?
i was considering the Inhibit Axis feature, to avoid destroying the software.
any recommendations from the experts?

Last edited:
But RSL5000 will report it can't talk to the axis. Inhibiting the drive means the software has to talk to the drive to inhibit. If the drive doesn't physically exist, how will the s/w talk to it? Of course, I'm thinking of the case of removing the drive out of the project.

Or just try it without making changes to s/w. The PLC will blink the I/O indicating that there is a problem. then address all faults.

Last edited:
I remember reading a RA knowledge base article on how to temporarily disable / remove an axis without removing the software

It is something like
1) Take the Axis out of the motion group
2) disable or remove the SERCOS address from the M16SE

You may have to make changes to the software if it is directly looking at the axis for start permissives

i deleted the Kinetix 7000 drive from the Sercos network, the axis is now associated to none, and bypassed all program instructions related to the axis. download to the plc was successful, all red leds were gone.
but now i have flashing green leds on the Sercos interface 1756-M16SE. should i do any special settings or configuration to fix this? does any other module or drive require it?

i deleted the Kinetix 7000 drive from the Sercos network, the axis is now associated to none, and bypassed all program instructions related to the axis. download to the plc was successful, all red leds were gone.
but now i have flashing green leds on the Sercos interface 1756-M16SE. should i do any special settings or configuration to fix this? does any other module or drive require it?

i checked the online properties of the Sercos interface 1756-M16SE , its Internal State is "Program Mode".

what does this mean? what should i do? i am new to this...

The solution was to check loose cables and connectors on the motors and drives, straighten bent connector pins, … (machine assembly was done too fast!). It seems that the sercos network does not do his first run, until all drives have started properly one after the other!