Version Troubles

PLC Pie Guy

Hey all.
I have a question to ask.
I have installed Logix 5000 up to V21.
I have Studio 5000 V21.
I am trying to upload a program from an L43 that is done with V21.13.

When II upload with Logix 5000 I see this:
Error: Tag used as a PLC-5 mapping file not found.
Error: Failed to upload PLC file Mapping information.
Complete - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)

When I try to upload with Studio 5000 the option to upload is greyed out. This makes sense but the Logix 5000 issue makes me think I am missing something.

What is going on here?
I am sure its a version situation.
Thanks to all that reply.

Good day.
After beating my head off the wall over this for a while I will tell you what I know now. The project version is 20.03. not 21.** that I said earlier.
I have V20.01 as well as V21 installed for logix5000.
I have studio5000 v21 as well.

After chatting with Rockwell support I realize now that V20.03 can only be opened by V20.03. Convenient.
They said I would have to uninstall my Logix5000 and install V20.03. I really do not want to do this. Does anybody know another way that I can do this. Perhaps a way to change the version of the projects without actually being able to open them?
I have the original .ACD files I got today from the OEM.
Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

>You should not have to uninstall anything in order to install RSLogix 5000 version 20.03.

>But you do definitely have to install RSLogix 5000 version 20.03 in order to work with a controller program written for 20.03.

EDIT: I mis-read your post.

You can have 20.01, or 20.03, but not both.

It's inconvenient and confusing, but the signed-firmware method RA used to deal with an imminent security hole makes it so.

Last edited:
I don't know for sure.

I would expect installation of 20.03 to over-write or in-install 20.01, since the two versions cannot co-exist on the same PC.

I dealt with this by skipping 20.03 entirely and retaining a 20.01 Virtual Machine to work on the handful of customers who got a 20.01 controller from us.

The lady in tech support said it would be much more involved than that. Her english was terrible so it didn't help me much. Then she gave me a technote number 565204 to deal with the issue but I realize now that technote number can't be found.

Thanks

I would like to avoid this version completely as well but I just don't know how to get around this. We bought two machines from an OEM that came this way and now they are bricks.

I created and installed 20.03 on a separate VM for the controllers that I run into with 20.03.

I am a huge fan of VMWorkstation but this company is dead against adding software to IT machines.
I am so *%$#*@ mad that they would send me this pile of dung without making sure that we can first deal with it. If these panels were not already installed id ship them right back.
Presuming I can find somebody that has V20.03 on their computer, is it possible to change the version something, anything else?

Thanks

So I guess it is my lucky day.
I finally got reached the senior electrical engineer for the OEM. He was kind of peeved that his programmer sent me two controllers with that revision, as a rule they don't (not supposed to) program with that revision. He is sending me new .ACD files in V20.01.
Hallelujah!
Thanks to you Ken and Bob for the advice. I will head the warnings and stay well away from 20.03 in the future.
To bad I have to learn the hard way!

I don't know if a 20.03 could save this as a .L5K and that be used to import into 20.01. As long as none of the "New Security Features" are being used in the 20.03 file.
Maybe with some editing in notepad in the .L5K :unsure: but never tried it.

Went to ROATM in Charlotte last week, and in the class on Studio 5000 the instructor said we should all just skip V20 and V21 and go right to V24. With 20 and 21 minor revisions make a big difference.