Factorytalk view studio SE local tag descriptions

Mr.Adam

Can the HMI tag descriptions be selectably translated?

Scenario: We use the local Alarm tag descriptions to as alarm messages that are displayed at the top of the screen, These tags are then tied to a PLC tags for triggering (not sure if this is the proper way to do this, this practice predates me and i am learning on the fly with no formal automation training).

We need to support screens with both EN and ES language options, the rest of the language switching works now, but not our Alarm messages which are again, local HMI tag descriptions.

From what I can see, these cannot be selectably translated.

No, not that I know of.

You could duplicate all your alarm tags, making a second set just for ES alarms. Not a good choice if you already have 5,000 analog alarm tags.

Ex. export the alarms to CSV file, use Excel to duplicate all the alarm tags. Add a pre-fix to the new tag names like "ES_", or put them all into a new folder.

A few options to "switch" languages:
(1) Filter on tag name. Create two alarm summary objects; one filters for EN alarms and the other for ES alarms. You would need to change the tag pre-fix for the EN alarms. Use visibility animation on the summary object to change languages.
(2) Filter on severity. Create two alarm summary objects; one filters for severity 1 (EN) and the other for severity 2 (ES). You would need to ensure all alarms within a language have the same severity. Use visibility animation on the summary object to change languages.
(3) Use the SuppressOn and SuppressOff commands. Create a button that turns on the ES alarms, and turns the EN alarms off. Do the opposite for the EN button.
Code:
SuppressOff ES*;SuppressOn EN*

Options 1 & 2 will keep adding alarms into your alarm log. Might not want to do that if you have many &/or frequent alarms. The advantage is that alarms for both languages are always logged. You can change languages even for past alarms.

Option 3 will only log alarms in the current language setting. Past alarms will be logged in the language at that time, and cannot be viewed in a different language. There is also a small chance that you miss (or duplicate) an alarm at the time you press the button to switch alarm languages.

Try it out in a test Local project and see if that does what you are looking for.

No, not that I know of.

You could duplicate all your alarm tags, making a second set just for ES alarms. Not a good choice if you already have 5,000 analog alarm tags.

Ex. export the alarms to CSV file, use Excel to duplicate all the alarm tags. Add a pre-fix to the new tag names like "ES_", or put them all into a new folder.

A few options to "switch" languages:
(1) Filter on tag name. Create two alarm summary objects; one filters for EN alarms and the other for ES alarms. You would need to change the tag pre-fix for the EN alarms. Use visibility animation on the summary object to change languages.
(2) Filter on severity. Create two alarm summary objects; one filters for severity 1 (EN) and the other for severity 2 (ES). You would need to ensure all alarms within a language have the same severity. Use visibility animation on the summary object to change languages.
(3) Use the SuppressOn and SuppressOff commands. Create a button that turns on the ES alarms, and turns the EN alarms off. Do the opposite for the EN button.
Code:
SuppressOff ES*;SuppressOn EN*

Options 1 & 2 will keep adding alarms into your alarm log. Might not want to do that if you have many &/or frequent alarms. The advantage is that alarms for both languages are always logged. You can change languages even for past alarms.

Option 3 will only log alarms in the current language setting. Past alarms will be logged in the language at that time, and cannot be viewed in a different language. There is also a small chance that you miss (or duplicate) an alarm at the time you press the button to switch alarm languages.

Try it out in a test Local project and see if that does what you are looking for.

Awesome ideas - very creative. I like it.