Rice Lake scale to DL-205-1 communication help..

icc1john

I have shot myself in the foot - per se'.... I have a customer with a scale panel that has four Rice Lake scale heads in it. I was able to repair and get all 4 working properly and calibrated, a good thing until...
There is an existing panel around the corner that has a DL-250-1 and a C-more in it. He wants the scale weight to display on the C-more.

The Rice Lake is a IQ+310FA, which has serial comms, an EDP port and a serial (ticket printer) port, but I am not sure even where to begin as I have not ever dealt with the format..
Anyone have any related experience that can help me down the right path ?
Thanks,
JD

If I remember correctly, you are pretty much limited to serial. You would likely need to install two F2-CP128 units in the DL205 to be able to read all of the scale heads unless the Rice Lake has an ASCII addressable RS-485 option in which case you would only need one.

A quick search shows that the scale talks AB Remote IO and the DL205-1 talks modbus, so maybe a RIO to modbus gateway from Prosoft?

Unfortunately there is no 485 option (older scale heads), the F2-CP128 looks like seriously uncharted water for me...
The scale's EDP port can be placed in "stream" mode, In STREAM,
the port transmits the selected data format continuously, starting
automatically on power-up.

Ok, just a shot in the dark here. I'm assuming it's serial ASCII format. You can verify this by hooking up your laptop's serial port and Hyperterminal. Once you verify the ASCII code and any command you can send to get a weight response, then you are set assuming you are get the PLC to talk ASCII serial AND you can convert ASCII to value in PLC.

Looks like the following formats are selectable for the EDP port..
0 = CC CC (CONSOLIDATED CONTROLS) DATA FORMAT
1 = WI120 WI (WEIGHTRONIX) 120 FORMAT
2 = CAR 738 CAR (CARDINAL) 738 FORMAT
3 = AN 5316 AN (ANALOGIC) 5316 DATA FORMAT
4 = T8142 TOLEDO T8142 AND T8142CK FORMATS
5 = T8142CK
6 = REMOTE

I just had another thought, I have a red lion g304k2 in the shop that I could add to the panel to display the weights, surely there is an easy way to pick up one of those formats with the k2 ?

It's a lot easier than it looks.
I'm using Rice Lake 480 displays with Siemens S7-1200. I'm guessing the protocol is the same.
Forget streaming. Leave the output format in the default mode. Everything is pure ASCII.
Simple 2 wire RS232. 9600 baud, 8 bit, no parity, no handshaking.
To command it to print, send it 3 characters - "P$R".
It will return 8 characters. + or -, 6 digits and decimal point.
I'm taking it straight to an ASCII to Real instruction.

A Do-more processor would make this dirt easy with it fitting into the 205 CPU slot, but it would take a code rewrite of the existing logic in the D2-250-1.