CIP Message Configuration for Altivar 71

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I am trying to read from an altivar 71. I have the generic ethernet module in place (on a contrologix) and I have pulled a couple pieces of data back using blind luck on the settings so connection is good.

Now I am trying to get a grasp of assemblies, service code, class,instance, attribute. Its not like pulling a tag or register, I dont see where all these terms are defined so I can seem to get my head around them. The book splits them up into tables but uses It a different language.

I am using Assemblies 100 and 101 since people here have said that 103 104 were trouble. All I want to do is read data back, speed, current, voltage, fault history, stuff like that.
It appears that the assemblies are each 8 registers deep and that you have to configure what you want these registers to hold using the web interface or the HMI. That doesnt seem to be right. While it might be fine for my needs, thats far too limiting for someone using these for a different more complicated purpose. I would think that you should be able to read any one of many dozens of registers with info about anything the drive can say using a CIP message.

Aditionally it seems that you can only grab ONE "register" at a time using "Get Single Attribute". Again it seems I have that wrong, I should be able to read entire banks of data to an array should I want to do that. And I do. One message with a big payload it better than lots of little ones.

Am I all wrong here?
Could someone send some screen shots of the message configuration for several of these parameters so I can try to get the syntax figured out?

Back at it. Altivar and Eth/IP

I am having no luck grasping this concept. I had one value returning live data but can't get any others. Getting these one tag at a time seems pretty wrong too. Would certainly prefer to grab all 8 at once and throw them into an array. But I'll take what I can get.

The MSG that was working returns the speed setpoint (which I don't need, I need feedback not control) looks like this:
pic1.jpg

Which somehow reads Word 1 of Assembly 101... I think.
I have used the HMI and assigned addresses I want to see (8604,3202 etc)to the 8 locations that this assembly uses, but I can't see any correlation between this dialog and where the book says this info should be.

I did get the 2 docs recommended but its not enough.
Would someone share a working logix file so I can see the right way to config a MSG with all the codes,class,instance and attribute needed to talk to these?

Other than maybe setting the time or date just to see if I can, I wont need to write to these, just read status and fault codes.

I would really appreciate the help.

Good, 59 was the page I had open already

Pic Table.jpg

2A/01/07, is that class/instance/attribute?
If I try any other than 07 the MSG fails

I thought I should be looking at pg65

Pic2.jpg

How would I use the values here? Aren't these the ones in the HMI scanner config?Theres no xx/xx/xx to go with these.

I am having trouble setting up the Altivar 71 to talk ether ip to a L71, have read through all the manuals for the drive and comms card any help at this point would be greatly appreciated thanks

Things to remember. You have to use the HMI to assign 8 values to the "slots" in the HMI that the CIP msg reads.
They you add the drive as you would an IO module. which will then provide you a tag array with the data points in them.

I was initially trying to MSG them which might work one at a time, but it doesnt grab a block of data points as I would have preferred.

Still disappointed that I can only read from the 8 preassigned slots, but I got what I needed and never went back. .

we have it talking and are able to control it now but we want to do more than just setpoint and run we would like to set motor data and direction along with a few others, a few test proved explicit messages but we have concerns about doing that and what it is going to do to the network