Votes: 77 78.6%
  • Proxy

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • Proximity Switch- I only use proper terms

Votes: 13 13.3%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
I call it a 'prox' when everyone knows precisely which type we're talking about. But otherwise I try to precede it with 'photo' or 'inductive' or 'capacitive' or even 'ultrasonic' depending on the sensing method.

" I call it a 'prox' when everyone knows precisely which type we're talking about. But otherwise I try to precede it with 'photo' or 'inductive' or 'capacitive' or even 'ultrasonic' depending on the sensing method. "

If you were to tell me you were using a photo prox I wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Must be an 'over the pond' thing - prox

Here in UK it is usually shortened to proxy switch

But the best I hear, and I hear it all the time from none technical people is 'magic eye' :)

I always know what they mean, but the times I hear 'I dont think that magic eye is working properly' hehehehehe

I never heard Proxy until we had a job out east in Maryland. That was a standard term in that shop. We always used prox switch.

When I hear it, "proxy" it always connotes some sort of voting. I suppose in a fuzzy logig system, each proximity switch could have a weighted proxy?

I never use the term "proxy" when speaking of proximity sensors.

However, I do use the term "proxy". I use it when I write "shadow code" for existing outputs. I use the term "proxy" as it is defined.

Existing code...

existing
stuff
----| |----------( Y24 ) Forward Valve

Shadow Code...

new
stuff
----| |----------( C124 ) "PROXY" Forward Valve

After feeling comfortable with the Shadow Code I modify the existing code as follows...

existing USE
stuff NEW CODE
----| |---------|/|------+----( Y24 ) Forward Valve
C300 |
"PROXY" |
Foward USE |
Valve NEW CODE |
----| |---------| |------+
C124 C300

When I get the "hair"... I turn ON C300 to switch control of the valve from the old code to the new code.

Once I feel very satisfied with the new code I remove the old code and convert the C124 "Proxy" Output to the actual Valve Output.

So, no... I don't use "proxy" as some have indicated.

And I don't say "screwy-dwiver" either.

1: I use the term PROX for mag or cap prox sw's.
2: I use the term PEE (Photo Electric Eye) for them.
3: It does help to mention the specific brand or model of PEE in use.

David beerchug

Around our shop, we use the term prox if it uses an inductive or capacitive field, reed switch or magnetic switch if it uses a magnetic field, and photo eye if it sends and receives a light signal (even if they are two separate devices). A photo cell, however, is not a sensor but a device that converts light into an electric voltage. But you have to keep an open mind when the mechanics say terms like switch, limit switch, Poke Yoke, and "The Efector" which is our predominant brand.