High vs Low Input Level

For noise immunity, we don't want to reference to ground. The low input is ungrounded - floating. If your source is grounded, then the low input will be at ground potential with the source connected.

There's no rules as far as I know, it's marketing, company by company.

I can tell you that Honeywell calls 4-20mA, 0/1-5Vdc, 0/2-10Vdc "high level" analog inputs for its PAC/PLC, recorder and PID controller consider.

Thermocouple, mV, RTD and resistance (slidewire feedback) are part of their universal inputs that also include the high level analog signals.

Someone like Yokogawa who has AC modules for some of their stuff might use the term 'high level' differently.

For noise immunity, we don't want to reference to ground. The low input is ungrounded - floating. If your source is grounded, then the low input will be at ground potential with the source connected.

Can you refer to a drawing so I can understand the concept better? I find it difficult to grasp the common ground concept and its disadvantages...
Thank you for your reply

Last edited:
There's no rules as far as I know, it's marketing, company by company.

I can tell you that Honeywell calls 4-20mA, 0/1-5Vdc, 0/2-10Vdc "high level" analog inputs for its PAC/PLC, recorder and PID controller consider.

Thermocouple, mV, RTD and resistance (slidewire feedback) are part of their universal inputs that also include the high level analog signals.

Someone like Yokogawa who has AC modules for some of their stuff might use the term 'high level' differently.

What is slidewire feedback ?
Also when you refer to resistance measurement(Thermocouple, mV, RTD and resistance) , is it the resistance you measure or the voltage drop across it?

What is slidewire feedback ?
An electric actuator can report its position with a variable resistor commonly called a slidewire because there's a wiper that slides along a strip or winding of resistance material.

is it the resistance you measure or the voltage drop across it?
Typically, the controller generates a fixed current, drives the current through the external resistance, and then measures the voltage drop across the external resistance.

Can you refer to a drawing so I can understand the concept better? I find it difficult to grasp the common ground concept and its disadvantages...
Thank you for your reply
A decent, basic explanation here:
https://ueidaq.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/how-to-use-differential-inputs-to-enhance-noise-immunity/

11ukbj8.jpg

2u9og1u.gif

Last edited:
Thank you very much really appreciate it.please give the time to study these in more detail and come back for further assistance if needed!