Factory Talk View Site Edition "Download"

Burch

I'm new to Site edition, and need a little guidance.

In Machine Edition, I create a runtime application, and then us the transfer utility to get the program in the HMI.

What is the similar procedure in Site Edition?

Thanks,

Burch

Site Edition can't be run on the Panelview OS, so it needs to be transferred to the runtime computer just like you were transferring any other files. I use TeamViewer Host on the HMI computer and set it to exclusively accept LAN connections and use the standard TeamViewer on my laptop to transfer the files over.

When developing/editing any FTVSE application you are actually working "live" within the FTVSE Server since there is only one "tier" of FTVSE application level; the FTVSE Server is "serving" the application(s) to all the configured Clients.
FTVME, as you are probably very well aware, is using a two tier application approach; there is the Development Application, where you are designing and configuring and then there is the Runtime Application which is a "streamlined" compilation of the Development one; the Runtime (.mer) is to be individually deployed onto the PV+ graphic terminals.
There are both advantages and disadvantages for either FTV "flavor".
Since you are familiar with the ME, you will find a lot less cumbersome to create/develop/edit a SE application; any change could be real-world implemented by simply picking "Save" from the File Menu of the FTV Studio software; no need to compile/download.
Of course you could also just simply disable the entire system if you make a major mistake.
Another major SE/ME difference is that FTVSE applications are not "portable" the way the ME Archive (.apa) type files are; you will need to be Online with the FTVSE Server in order to work on an application; you cannot work Offline and then simply compile/download the way ME does it.

So..If I was given the application from the customer, and asked to make changes (which I did) off-line, there is not a way to install these changes?

Sorry if I'm asking simple questions. The changes were straight forward, and I never gave much thought to getting them installed since I assumed it would have been the same as with FT ME...

Burch

What type of a SE application did you edit, Network Station or Local Station?
My posted ME/SE "theory" is mostly related to the most common SE implementation, the Network Distributed one.

Yes it does.
Handling FTVSE applications could be pretty tricky and quite complicated; each taken step is crucial for a happy ending.
Before you attempt to do anything related to handling/deploying of any type of FTVSE applications please study very carefully the FTVSE Installation and User Manuals, in your case the chapters related to FTVSE Local Station type applications.

Chapter 8 of :

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/viewse-in003_-en-e.pdf

Chapter 8 of :
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/viewse-um006_-en-e.pdf