NEED gdi.exe file for Windows 95

CaseyK

In the cornfields, on the prarie, outside Chi-Town
My programmer (READ laptop) quit loading windows 95 recently. Says there is an error reading gdi.exe. Of the mass quantities of hardware and software around here, no Win95. Tried Win98 file, but won't work.

So, I am looking for a windows 95 gdi.exe file, preferrably from the summer months of 1995.

LogicMaster, ECLIPS State Logic, AutoCad, AutoCad LT, Lotus 123, and PFS ProWrite happen to be all dos. But I would still like to use windows on occaision.

thanks to all........casey

Last edited:
Looks like it has something to do with a missing "fonts" folder. See THIS MS Knowledgebase article. You can extract the necessary files from the .CAB files.

beerchug

-Eric

Sorry Casey, I've looked around, but can't find any win95 disks... I **should** have some around (on floppy, if I recall).

BUT.... If GDI is corrupt/missing under windows, it could mean that any number of system files are corrupt. That is usually caused by a failure on the hard drive.

If you haven't recently, now is a very VERY good time to get every bit of data you need to save off that drive and archive it.

After you have saved everything, you might want to run a decent disk analyzer to verify the physical integrity of the drive.

Well, now I've got somewhere to start. I copied the old gdi.exe to a .bak, just in case. I'll go in and rummage the fonts and see if I can figure something out.

Not sure about the cab files. Have to see if I can get to them from the boot disk. That I do have.

Hard drive is okay. Motherboard is new. It went out when someone was playing cards (hearts) with my laptop.

Funny, this time someone borrowed ny laptop, and whenI got the laptop back, and it wouldn't work, after they played solitare. Card game are history.

thanks guys.......casey

I am in LaSalle, I-80 at I-39 between Rockford Bloomington, Romeoville, Peoria, Dixon, Rock Island, 60 from miles from anywhere.

I think I am going to see if i can slave the cd from a desktop into the laptop. I have a link cable, but think that the control was windows based. Haven't tried to mess with the font directory yet.

Finding work or a meaningful job has had top priority lately.

regards.......casey

(Shamless plug for work)

Oh how I love computers, my laptop took a dump on me this morning, third time in three years, luckily most of my stuff is backed up but now I won't have a laptop for a week. IBM makes the WORST Hard Drives ever!

Your definately in the middle of nowhere, I almost ran out of gas heading down there about a month ago, nothing but farm land for miles and miles.

Casey

I have a laptop running windows 95, the GDI.EXE file is only 305Kb in size, so if you want I could email just that file to you. I also have a windows 95 CD, from which I could extract the CAB file you need, if indeed you do require one, and email that to you as well.

You will need to let me know what CAB file you want.

Paul

Back At It Again

I found that the FONTS folder was empty. So, after a "little" time, 179 fonts (ttf) transfered. Still no luck.

I have tried other gdi.exe files. The one that came with the computer was from a OEM Software package, with a file size of 312,208, dated 7-11-95. I bought the laptop in June of 96.

With the original file in place, I now get:
"Error loading GDI.EXE, You must reinstal Windows."

Well, it still works in DOS, so my beloved "LogicMaster" and trusty old PFS ProWrite still work. Though, I gennerally use WORD on my Desktop.

Also, I have *.fon files in Windows explorer, but they don't show up on dos. I can copy them to the a: drive, but they are not there.

Have I mentioned how much I dislike windows.

Now, if someone could have only figured out how to multitask dos!

Now, if a new computer or two were in the budget.....

So, anybody got a 312K file lying around?

regards.....casey

Casey

I have the file you need (312,208 bytes in size), it is dated 24th August 1996.

If you want it I could email it to you.

Just say the word and it's on it's way

Paul

If you have a Win98 CD you can install it without formatting or losing any programs, Win98 is much better to use than W95.

If your Win98 CD is Full version and not an upgrade you can still install it "OVER" Win95 by renaming win.com to anything, example: win.kc1. Once its renamed then you can install win98...without formatting or removing any programs, it will just install "over" win95.

I have win95 on CD and floppies so let me know what you need.

It is also possible to extract the setup and cab files from a CD using Winzip and use disk spanning to create installation disks.

glaverty
What model IBM, personally like them, my 300MHZ is 5 years old and I have a spare Hard Drive that is compatible with many models. The laptop was faithful but a power outage problem fried it and a few other things during Hurrican Katrina.

CaseyK said:
Now, if someone could have only figured out how to multitask dos!

They did. DoubleDos (circa 1988ish) allowed you to run two independant DOS memory partitions, much like IBM 360 DOS.

Also TopView, Windows 1.0 and a few others.

Windows 3.11 is also a nice way to run multiple DOS sesions at ones.

I installed & used both ways to run some old software I wrote a very long time ago that needed two dos programs running at once.