Help to kill a PV550

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
· [FONT=&quot]How might I determine the amount of memory being used by a Panel View 550. I don’t have the actual model number but it is a PV550 DH485 touch connected to a SLC5/04. [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Can the SLC5/04 be connected to a 1761-NET-INI for ethernet I/P connectivity? I think yes, but has anyone done it?
[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Any good reasons why the PV550 should be taken out of service? I really don’t like it. It has 27 screens and navigation is a bear. I would like to replace it with something ethernet compatible.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I need some good arguments for upgrading.
[/FONT]

I am supprized that you have any trouble killing it at all.
We go through about 1 per year and I have the last spare installed and running now.

(of course mine is connected in a high pressure washdown area and the operators have sugar on their gloves that muck these up really fast)

EDIT: If you dont have a spare laying around then that is a good argument to at least get something in the works for an upgrade.
They think a lot of these to purchase one, if you can find one in decent shape.

Last edited:
We had a guy kill a brand new pv900 by hitting the display with his fist. The ring on his finger left an imprint in the display. The plant manager was not a happy camper when he tried to run the line that morning. I brought in the new one and showed him the dead pv900 and gave him the cost of a replacement. He was ticked off to put it mildly.

james

Would be nice if it were at PV-plus but no such luck. this one was born in 199X and just won't die. I like the idea that they are difficult to find for replacement. That might fly. I need to make some changes and I am guessing that it will have insufficient memory to hold another 5 to 7 screens, but I don't know. Sure don't want to get started only to find out that the guess is right.

*** I also asked about Ethernet/IP on a SLC5/03. Any comments?

IF you use a NET-ENI or Digi-One IAP as a bridge from the SLC serial port to Ethernet, then you could upgrade to a G307K. I am not sure about the panel cut out sizes but they should be similar. What is the distance from the HMI to the SLC? IF less than about 50 feet you could skip the ethernet bridge and stay with a serial connection.

The cable length is short. The OIT & PLC are in the same panel. I could stay with serial, but then i wouldn't be able to make downloads to both the PLC & OIT without changing cables every time. That is the only reason for looking at an ethernet solution.

Well, the PV550 is out of sale for almost 2 years now. Finding a good condition used one is a gamble. Could take some time and leave you in a similar spot.

The PanelBuilder32 software is only supported up to Windows XP. Oh, and that is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Remote access saves you time. Newer terminals with Ethernet let you download, view/control & troubleshoot from your desk. Maybe there are cost savings in your time or lost time with problems. But it certainly is much easier for you, instead of balancing your laptop on the machine while you make changes over a serial cable.

What would you replace the PV550 with?

If you have FactoryTalk View Machine Edition, just try importing & converting the project file. Test it out with serial on your PC. Getting that setup will at least give you a quick backup option if you need to replace the PV550 (with a PVPlus 600).

Thank you. I am including these arguments to promote an upgrade. I would probably choose the CMore 8" color touch EA9-T8CL. It is compatible and i am familiar with it - which saves me time. If I can do this more leisurely, I might like to try one of the Red Lion machines.

To determine the amount of memory used, upload to laptop using Panelbuilder 32 ver 3.83. Works on my computers running Win7 64 bit. Depending on PV550 model, you will likely need a 1747-UIC. Once uploaded, click on Appilcation and then Application size.

I have seen the NET-ENI connected to 5/04 processors several places. It will work.

I have used over 100 PV550s and am now using C-Mores. #1 reason is that screen, memory and functionality are WAY better for the same money. #2 reason is you get Trending. #3 reason is that customers like the remote view function so that they can sit in the office and see the display screen over ethernet. No extra software required other than standard web browser.

If you want to kill it, the leads of an insulation resistance tester set to 1000V, energised and accidentally applied to some exposed terminals should do the trick.

It lives on and will see another season! Found a work around in the PLC. We like to kill things politically - not literally. Although I don't mind wishing it ill.