Siemens Profibus PA/DP Link with a third party PLC or gateway

grnick50

Lifetime Supporting Member
Dear all,

In the past I have used DP/PA Links with Siemens PLCs. As both the Link and the PLC was from the same vendor, ther was no trouble building the network.

I have a new project where I need to use TH400 Profibus-PA temperature transmitters (47 of them) and I plan to use:
1 x 6ES71532BA020XB0 with
2 x 6ES71570AC830XA0

The thing is that this time the PLC will not be a Simatic PLC and it will probably be an AB Compactlogix. I plan to use this HMS Anybus gateway to add Profibus-DP functionality to my Compactlogix. My problem is how will I set up the GSD file for the profibus devices and I am not sure this setup is the best.
I had a look in this FAQ and I had written a post regarding the connection of a S7-1500 to a profibus-PA network but got no answer.

Has anyone used a Siemens Profibus DP/PA Link with a third party PLC? How did you work out the GSD file?

Hi,

I think the AB7800 could work with the correct setup/configuration, timings etc. AB7800 will act as a PROFIBUS DP/DPV1 Master towards the PROFIBUS devices and an EtherNet/IP Adapter towards the CompactLogix PLC. With AB7800 a PROFIBUS Configuration software is included which you will be able to import all required GSD files in.

Send me an email on [email protected] and we can discuss further.

Markus