RSLogix 5000 VS Studio 5000

besc

Lifetime Supporting Member
Getting back into PLCs I was wandering what the differences and capabilities and of course price is between these packages. I would like to set up for Micro800, Compact Logix and Control logix. The 800s for quick, cheap and easy jobs. I here Compact Logix does now make a unit compatible with the 830 and 850 as far as price goes. Thanks. Mike.

Hi

The 800 does use 5000 and I think the software for them is free
Not to sure on this as I have never used a 800
The difference in 5000 and studio 5000 is mostly what version of firmware
You can go to. Different processors only go to a let's say ver 20 and some only will work from version 20. Rs logix 5000 changed to studio 5000 in version 21 and I would have said that there was not much change until I started to use version 24 where there has been some nice changes been able to search and replace on line for one

Donnchadh

As far as I know, the micro800 uses Connected Components Workbench (CCW), for programming, not RS5000.

The recommendation I've seen from many in this forum is that the small cost adder to go from the 800 series to a small compactlogix is usually well worth it in engineering time savings and decreased risk.

As far as Logix5000 vs Studio5000, I think Donnchadh summed it up pretty well. Studio5000 was essentially just putting a shiny new name on the new release of Logix5000 a few years ago. When they announced the name, they were talking about new features like integrating the panel software into the PLC software. So far, I don't think anything like that has actually been released, and the changes have been the typical yearly improvements.

$900.00 dollars for Logix Designer, (StudioLogix 5000 mini, with the RsLogix 5000 from 20 to 13).
I paid cash, so businesses probably do better... I guess. (That was in Oct. 2014 in Indianapolis, Kirby Risk distributor)
(The link I posted showed 800 for mini so I mentioned my experience)

Last edited:
Sorry to nudge in here but, Sherlock where you able to purchase this as an indvidual (Not under a buisness name)?

The reason I ask is I went to purchase some Rockwell Software earlier this year and our distrubutor would not sell it to me unless I was putting it under the name of the company I work for.

Some nonsence about can only sell to a buisness with a commercial address.

Sorry to interupt I just seen the opportuity and thought I would ask.

Thanks
BCS

Great question, as I had to jump through similar hoops.

The rep, if I remember correctly, expressed concern during the process and again a week later when I contacted him to submit the request for the 90 day techconnect agreement, (I was told by RA that the rep had to submit THAT form and the Rep said Allen Bradley MAY notice that my address wasn't listed as a BUSINESS address and that MAY be a problem.)

I used my full name in the Business Name field, and have used it since for the techconnect, (90 days) agreement. (He originally listed Kirby Risk and a cash sale, but I had them change that so I could get the 90 days techconnect.)

The rep expressed concerns about the issue you mentioned. I spent 10 years self employed a few years before and must say, I "mentioned", that I aspired to perhaps do so again, and maybe that eased his mind during the purchase? Not really sure, but I did have to hop hurdles throughout the process and when on the phone with AB techconnect while it lasted. "Your Company?" They asked... "Jeff ..." I always told them and ran into no issues.

Regards

Last edited:
Very interesting, good to know.
I also had my own corporation for well over a decade and disolved it when I started this job.
Guess its time to start looking for a name for another INC/LLC baby.

Thanks
BCS

Any time,

Good luck,

Given the expertise exhibited in your consistent inputs here, no doubt you'll blow it out of the water..

Regards.

Hmm.....not quite sure how to read that, as I am sure that I am batting less than 500 here on the forum.

but thanks for the Rockwell info anyway.:)

BCS

I'm pretty sure the only person that keeps track of the batting average is ourselves. I have no idea how often you are right, but I see you in threads all over being helpful. I don't think the forum could ask for more than that.

I appreciate that, you never know how others really perceive you, especially when it is through this type of media.

I do keep score, and I am usually pretty tough on myself about it.

I enjoy the forum though, great therapy to help keep the crazy at bay, and I learn a lot from it.

Thanks,
BCS