Setting IP Address in Armor Block

Corkman

Hi all, I'm having a curious issue with my Armor block giving a connection timed out error 16#0203 in RSLogix.

I have a ControlLogix 1756-L62 (FW17) and have added into the IO configuration an Armor block 1732E-16CFGM12R.

I have the Armor block physically connected with Ethernet cable 1585D-M4UBJM-5 via an unmanaged switch and powered with 24v using the 889N-F4AE-20F.

I set the Armor block IP by changing the rotary switches to 255 then using BootTP Server I add in the MAC address of the Armor block, assign an IP Address and then Disable DHCP. I then cycle the power to the Armor block and after it starts up I can PING it fine and the Armor block STATUS and NET indicators go green.

Then in RSLogix I add the Armor block as a CIP device and then I get connection timed out error 16#203 and the Armor blocks STATUS goes to Blinking Red.

I've tried it again since with an L73 and I get the same error. I've also tried it with another armor block and it's also the same. So I'm thinking that my method must be incorrect or if there is something I'm forgetting to do? Can anyone help me please? :unsure:

I've also had problems with those blocks. Make sure the firmware is up to date. Use ControlFlash to do the update.

If I'm also remembering correctly, the status LED will blink out error codes.

Thanks for the help Andy6,

I have firmware v1.08 on the Armor block which is the latest version according to Rockwell.

I was just informed that I have to use the 1769-L36ERM instead as my 1756-L73 was only on my test rig and the processor in production is the 1769-L36ERM.

When I check the Rockwell site -> Compatibility / Download Center > Multi Product Selector > Find Downloads
and select the 1769-L36ERM and the Armor block 1732E-16CFGM12R the 1769-L36ERM shows that I can use Studio5000 v20.00.03 onwards and the Armor block shows that I can only use RSLogix 5000 v19.01.01!!!

Stupid questions now, does this mean the hardware is incompatible?

Thanks,
Dave

It should be compatible.

I just tried adding that Armor block into a Studio v24 project and it didn't give me any errors.

After adding them to the PLC, do they retain their IP? Can you still see them in Rslinx?

It should be compatible.

I just tried adding that Armor block into a Studio v24 project and it didn't give me any errors.

After adding them to the PLC, do they retain their IP? Can you still see them in Rslinx?

Thanks Andy6. When I add the Armor block into RSLogix v20 it comes in fine, but when I download to the PLC is when I get the error. After a while they seem to lose the IP then.

I've also been onto Rockwell support and they are telling me to only use the 192.x.x.x but this is the easy way out, and I can't as we are on a segmented network here and have it specified as 10.36.x.x so I have no choice.

Use a different switch or router.

I have a feeling your communications profile is not correct.

Did you download and install at AOP (Add on Profile) for the armorblock in RSLogix?
You do not need any custom configurations. A complete one is provided in the Armor AOP.

https://download.rockwellautomation.com/esd/download.aspx?downloadid=addonprofiles

1732E Armorblock Discrete

Thanks ever so much GTunit, this is something I never thought of. I am going to try this first and then if all else fails I will try to upgrade to Studio5000 with v24.

So I reinstalled the EDS file for the Armor block (based on GTUnit's idea on the profiles) and now the Armor blocks shows perfectly in RSLinx.

I can even connect to it now with the built in Web Server and can check the IP / Subnet and Gateway are all fine in the Armor block.

However when I add the Armor Block into the RSLogix program I still get the same error 16#0203.
The Block shows everything in properties and Module Info is fine as well. Any other ideas?

You don't need to upgrade to Studio 24. I'm on RSLogix V20.01 with no problems.

Understand that the EDS file is completely different then the AOP.

EDS is for RSLinx
AOP is for RSLogix5000

Do you know how to install the AOP in RSLogix?

I recently did a job that used 48 of them and 39 PowerFlex 525 drives all on the same EN2T and was having them come and go on the IO tree. I changed the default scan rate from 20ms to 100ms and there were all stable after that. Also changed the PF525 to 250ms. Not doing any high speed control so why scan them so fast.

Hi all,
The issue is resolved now. It turns out it was the firmware on the Ethernet card that was the cause. We upgraded the 1756-ENBT from 4.3 to 4.6. Also we just received our CompactLogix and it worked first time with that so it turns out to have been the 1756-ENBT all along!!!
Thanks you all for your help. Dave