Point I/O Ethernet adapter or Flex I/O Ethernet adapter

jtashaffer

I have a SLC 5/05 plc and I want to add a remote rack to it. Which one is easier to make work with the Slc ( point I/o or flex I/o). I want to control it over Ethernet. I will need a analog input card and a HSC (high speed counter) card.

The SLC-5/05 supports only unscheduled data table messaging over Ethernet and will not work with any sort of Ethernet I/O.

There are probably approaches that will work with your application to run another controller (like a MicroLogix) and exchange data with the SLC-5/05 using messaging, or to run I/O on a network like DeviceNet.

I I was in your position here is how I would go:
1) You may want to take this opportunity to upgrade your processor to a Compactlogix processor. You would need to install a 1747-AENTR in place of the 5/05. Then the SLC I/O would but a remote Ethernet I/P rack. Then you can add Point, Flex or 1769 I/O all you want over ethernet.
2) If price and time are a premium you could then find a RIO or DeviceNet adapter on ebay fairly cheap. Then you can use Flex I/O for your remote rack. I will warn you that Flex I/O Analog data using RSL500 is kind of a PITA. It is not nearly as nice and clean as RSL5K installations.

If you need more info post back.

I would like to upgrade to. I have never really used point I/O or flex I/O. I was just trying to save running conduit and wiring. I will just run it all to the control room since it is all a struggle. I thought it might be a easy setup. thanks for the info.