slc500

hesham

hi
Does any one the pin configurarion for the cable needed to connect to AB plc type 1746-LA20.
i face one with out program and i need to reprogram it.
I don't have the cable ,is it RS@#@ or DH+.
THX

Hesham,

I assume that you meant to say “1746-L20A” ... many people call this model an “SLC fixed” system ... if this is what you have, then the communication cable you require is ANY ONE of these:

(1) a 1747-PIC adapter to convert your computer’s RS-232 port into DH-485 for the SLC’s communication port ...

(2) a 1747-UIC adapter to convert your computer’s USB port into DH-485 for the SLC’s communication port ...

(3) a 1784-PCM4 cable to connect between your existing 1784-PCMK card and the SLC’s DH-485 communication port ...

so the big question is “what type of port do you have available on your computer?” ...

note that a simple “pinout” will NOT work ... the SLC fixed systems do not have a simple RS-232 communications port ... the signal MUST be converted into DH-485 ...

you can find much more about this subject by researching “1747-PIC” ...

to answer your specific question: if I am correct about your processor’s model number, the SLC’s port is not RS-232 or DH+ ... instead it is DH-485 ...

PS edit ... it looks like Bernie has made the same assumption about your model number ...

Last edited:
correct

Hi
thanks to all,yes your assumtion was right it's 1746-LA20,it was a typing mistake.
I will try to find the recomeended cable from a local supplier.
THX

It's more than a cable

As far as I remember, it's not just a cable, it needs to be a pic unit or a PCMCIA card or a ktx card for your serial port, pcmcia slot or a card for a pci or isa slot in a desktop. These items are readily available from AB but they will cost more than buying a new processor. Last time I checked a ktx and PCMK card were like 1,700 US dollars.

My number may be off but it's not like you can just get a cable from radio shack.

Good luck,
try E-Bay

Marc