Direct logic zipped file

Handcraftedsince87

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,
Im new to Direct Logic and trying to figure out the lone DL PLC we have on site, and found a zipped file of the program it is running. I was hoping to open this and see the logic. My question is, how to get the zipped file loaded into the direct logic software I just downloaded for free from AD.com. Second question is if I choose to go out to the controller and try to go online, if I have to worry about inadvertently erasing the program that is loaded, and what the documentation would look like to a new computer with a fresh version of the programming software. The PLC is a Direct Logic 305.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

First, in Windows Explorer, doubleclick on the zipped file, it will open up the archive in Explorer. Click & drag to select all of the project files - then drag all the files to a normal folder (defaultly a Projects folder in the Directsoft folder) Windows will automatically decompress & save the files where you told it.

Then in Directsoft click on Open, got to the projects folder if not there, & select the project to open.

Also: If you downloaded & installed the free version it will only open projects up to 100 words (Frequently under 20 lines of program) for larger you have to pay for the key code.

Last edited:
Hello all,
Im new to Direct Logic and trying to figure out the lone DL PLC we have on site, and found a zipped file of the program it is running. I was hoping to open this and see the logic. My question is, how to get the zipped file loaded into the direct logic software I just downloaded for free from AD.com. Second question is if I choose to go out to the controller and try to go online, if I have to worry about inadvertently erasing the program that is loaded, and what the documentation would look like to a new computer with a fresh version of the programming software. The PLC is a Direct Logic 305.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you just want to see the program, Attach the zip file and upload it here. Just use the Go Advanced button then the Attach Files button below to Attach the file. Once it is uploaded, someone here can convert it to a .pdf file and re-post it for you to look at.

Second question is if I choose to go out to the controller and try to go online, if I have to worry about inadvertently erasing the program that is loaded, and what the documentation would look like to a new computer with a fresh version of the programming software.

When you open the project & try to go online Directsoft will pop-up a warning if the Disk version and the PLC version are different, and let you choose which to use - if they are different use the PLC version & then save that as project-new because there may have been some changes made after the project was zip'd, and it's just nice to keep an archive of older versions for future needs.

The program should be pretty small. It's just running a sawdust diverter. when I click on the file that is zipped, it opens up a number about 8 files in winRAR. I tried creating a new folder, and moved the files to that folder and tried to open it from Direct Soft 100 (free version of DS06) but it doesn't see the project. I guess my next attempt, unless there was something I'm missing, would be to get online with the controller through a serial comm port. Just wondering if anyone had any pointers on how to observe without causing any damage to the program. (upload vs download etc.) i know I had heard that the schneider modicon PLCs can be tricky unless you have the computer that was used to make the program. Any advice, again, is still greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You must have posted the reply above right as I was replying. Thanks again for the help. looks like I'll load this on a laptop and try to establish a connection out there without the previous copy of program. Ill try and post the files I have, I would greatly appreciate someone helping me unzip it. Thanks!

Downloaded it & was going to print it to a PDF for you, but that zip file is not a Directsoft project.

hmm... I had gotten in contact with our previous electrician who was leaving and he sent me that saying it was the program for the Directsoft. That would explain why I couldn't open it. Any idea what it is? I'll try and get in touch with him, he's leaving the company tomorrow

I tried all the Automation Direct software I have & it appears to be a ViewMarq file for a HMI, but it errors & won't open.

You do have the capability of creating a new 305 project in DirectSoft, going online & using the PLC version, just (like most other items you will come to work on) there won't be any descriptions or comments - good for a learning curve though.

Directsoft imported it as a 335 file in the Tisoft format. It is 194 steps long. So the free software wouldn't be able to deal with it. But it is documented.

Create empty project, no CPU selected. Do 'File' - 'Import' - 'Program', Select 'Tisoft (*.vpu)' as the file type. Find 'Relay.vpu' where you extracted.

Last edited: