RS logix V19 to V16 conversion

Pree

I am required to downgrade my RSlogix 5000 V19 to V16, has anyone donw tht before and can help me with any problems they faced or any functionality tht gets degrade with the conversion? can I import the routine of V19 to V16 directly?

On the same computer, you can have multiple versions. I have 13 up to 20. When you open a program, it will open with whatever version it was created in.
The issue is though, I believe you have to load them in order of lowest to highest.
George

Welcome to the forum!

If you're able to provide some more detail on what you're trying to achieve here, you'll likely get some more useful answers. Why do you need to "downgrade"? Are you downgrading just the software to talk to an existing v16 controller, or do you want to revert the controller firmware from v19 to v16 as well? What model of controller?

In any case there are a few things to be aware of, but until we know what your end goal is, we won't be as much help as we could be :)

Thanks ASF and George for you reply,
well my controller is already in V16, I want to use the logic created in V19 in V16, Like my whole logic is exactly same but the controller version is different

If it were me, I'd flash the firmware of the controller up to version 19, and then you're all set.

But, if you do want to leave it at v16 and just copy your code across, here's how I would do it:
- Make sure you have RSLogix5000 v16 installed on your computer. As George said, you can have multiple versions installed; when you go to open a file the software looks at the version it was written in and opens that version of RSLogix
- Copy and paste your v19 file to a new location and open it (it will open with v19)
- Right click the CPU in the I/O Configuration tree and click Properties
- Click the "Change Controller" button
- On the dialog that appears, change the firmware revision to 16

From there, the software will do a conversion, which will involve saving a v19 copy as a backup, and creating a new v16 file. The v16 file will be opened automatically. If there are any compatibility issues, you will usually get a dialog box warning you about them.

Once it's opened up, verify the controller and you'll soon see if there are any compatibility issues.

If you find that there are no compatibility issues, great! You're sorted. If there are any significant ones, you may have to weigh up whether it's easier to try and fix them, or to just flash the CPU firmware to v19 and use your original code.

Hope that helps!

Hi friends,
I have a similar problem:
I've upgraded a 1756 L61 v13 to v15. About 2 years along the machine is working with program v15. But todays OEM has changed HMI program and some problems has started related to HMI. Statistic data collection problems, some disappear parameters and pages, bla bla...
OEM thinks the problem related v15.
So I've 2 options:
1- I can flash f/w 13 to CPU and load original v13 program. But I don't prefer this because there are many modifications on the program.
2- I can flash f/w 13 to CPU and downgrade the program v13.
I've tried 2. option. But I can't downgrade the program.
I'm trying ASF's suggestion: Selecting CPU but I don't see any v13 option. Only I see v15 and higher versions.
Can you show me a way to downgrade the program to v13 again?
Many thanks for your valuable helps...

There can be lots of gotchas when reverting to an earlier RSLogix 5000 project and/or controller firmware revision. It depends a lot on the complexity of the program and hardware used, as well as the "size" of the jump backwards.

It's a lottery without knowing what an individuals unique setup is before reverting, but there will usually be at least a couple of issues which will need manual cleaning up afterwards, and sometimes even before...

For v19 upwards, Drives are one such headache, which can involve removing them and their code form the project before reverting. Then re-adding it all afterwards.

ibora,

It's usually better to start your own thread, even though what your doing is quite similar to the opening poster in this thread. If you are not seeing Revision 13 as an option, then you most likely do not have RSLogix 5000 v13 installed.

For both posters seeking help in this thread, have a read here if you have a TechConnect account...

33852 - RSLogix 5000 : Converting a Project to a previous version
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

Thanks Geospark,
But i'm sure v13 has installed. I'm opening original v13 program without a problem.

have you tried the method outlined in the following post?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=434051&postcount=4

basic idea:

using the existing version of RSLogix5000 - do a File > Save As operation - but save the file as a type L5K rather than an ACD file ...

then try to open the L5K file using the desired version of RSLogix5000 ... you'll probably get an error message ...

open the L5K file using NOTEPAD (do NOT use Wordpad) ...

"fix" the error (usually it's on line 8) ... in other words, just give the RSLogix5000 software the number that it's "expecting" to see ...

save the L5K file ...

now try to open the L5K file using the desired version of RSLogix5000 ...

you might still have the same type of "old-stuff vs. new-stuff" conversion problems - but at least this method works in many cases ...

good luck with it ...

Ron, you sly dog!

The technote that I've linked in this thread, 33852, is the same technote that fuzzy logic linked in that other thread. The L5K method is explained in the technote in detail, but you can only read it if you have a TechConnect contract, of course. Failing that, Ron has indirectly "exposed" some of the data from the technote for those that do not have a TechConnect contract - you sly dog. ;)

(Ron washes hands)

Regards,
George