Directsoft 5 word count

Freebird01

Since I am using the free version at this time is there any way i can do a count on my program to see how many "words" i am using? Be interested to see how close i am to their limit of 100 words...

Jason

I've never found where DirectSoft counts, but I found 100 words is usually under 20 line of code.

Maybe somebody else knows how to get a count.

eww...thats not good... guess i will be putting my project on hold once i get to a certain point until i can afford the $400 for the software...

Yeah, I still use Version 4 I bought almost 20 years ago. I have dowloaded & installed ver's 5 & 6 just to try them out but never activated the full versions.

You can still write your program using the free version. It is the download function that is limited to 100 words. You might borrow someone else's program to do that part.
..[DirectSoft v.5]...allows only 100 Words of ladder code to be downloaded to the PLC.

For $69 you can buy a basic Click PLC and replace your DL05 and then have a newer PLC and free newer programming software.

Last edited:
Just to answer the OP's question, 'View' - enable 'Status Bar'.

Lower right hand corner has 'words used/words in CPU' Just before CPU type.

Another is 'View' - 'Options' - Ladder tab - choose 'Number Rungs - By Address'
Rung will have starting address of first instruction on the rung.

Last edited:
Check the specifications. The 05 was about the smallest PLC you could find, outside of a smart programmable relay. The Click is made by the same manufacturer, it is newer, has the Modbus communications protocol, real-time clock and battery backup, and has free software!

There are many Click versions available, probably one that will match your old DL05.

I have written many programs in DirectSoft, and now a few in the Click. The Click software is more refined and easier to use overall. I am running Click in Windows 7 with no problems.

Last edited:
well i made the plunge and bought a click...but now i'm wondering if it really was the right thing to do. I don't think it will work with my EZ-text panel as Click doesn't support Octal numbering.

what sucks is I'm just starting to get the hang of Direct soft 5. After downloading the Click software, I find its different enough that its difficult trying to relate what little i know from DS5. Which is really making my head hurt since I am a newbie to PLC programming in general.

well looking at what i have....i may be able to use the ez text panel using the modbus protocol since ez text supports that....guess now only time will tell

Which is really making my head hurt since I am a newbie to PLC programming in general.

If you want to get good at PLC's I would suggest downloading ALL the free software you can, then write test/sample programs in each one to learn various ways of doing things.

(some have OSR or ONS, others you have to make your own, Also some only have Delay On timers and you may need a TIMING or ENABLED bit, or a delay off operation.)

This way you won't lock yourself into one platform and the various experience will help build your skills.