RSLogix 5000 v20.01 vs Drive executive v5.02.00.00

wildswing

Is anyone aware of bugs in either RSLogix 5000 v20.01 or Drive Executive v5.02.99.00 that would interfere with the two talking to each other. I'm not completely up to speed on RA drives and their software and how they interact with RSL5K but thought I'd ask here anyway. We have a couple of drives guys who are much deeper into that stuff than me.

The guys saw something strange going on last week; numbers, speed references and such were wrong. On the advice of a RA tech we know they upgraded from 20.01 to 20.03. They then saw the warnings about compatibility and called me. We're now trying to uninstall RSL5K 20.03 and reinstall 20.01.

But back to my original question. Is there any know bugs that cause issues between RSL5 and Drive Executive? If so, in lieu of doing the RSL5K upgrade are their any patches that fix it? Maybe an update for Drive Tools?

Sorry, I'm having trouble finding a list of downloads on the RA site.

Tech support advised to go to 20.03? That was insanely stupid of them, and probably just a way to get off the phone.
If you went ahead and did that, you will not be able to do anything with a 20.01 project.

Okay, that aside... Exactly WHERE and HOW were numbers, speed references and such were wrong?

What drives? What communications method?

We run only PowerFlex drives here, and I've never seen the numbers be different from the drive, to Drive Executive (and now CCW), to the PLC.

I'll have to get back to you on the specifics. Stay tuned.

The tech I mention was not acting through Rockwell. He's a friend of one of our techs. We obviously did not get the whole story.

I'll have to get back to you on the specifics. Stay tuned.

The tech I mention was not acting through Rockwell. He's a friend of one of our techs. We obviously did not get the whole story.

20.03 is evil. It isn't an incremental version increase over 20.01, it is essentially Version 21, so .01 and .03 cannot exist on the same PC. It was a serious mistake for Rockwell to release it into the wild as they did.

Sorry for the delay. Here's an unedited copy n paste of an email from my drive guy. I'll send him a link to this thread. Maybe he'll register and toss in his 2 cents.

I was trying to add an input datalink in the Powerflex 700S drive for parameter 12 (Speed Ref 2) to get a speed reference for the drive over Ethernet/IP. There already was an input datalink for parameters 13 (SpeedRef2Multi) as well 32 (Accel1) and 33 (Decel1).
(I added the parameter 12 Datalink in DriveExecutive through the “Drives”>”Display Datalinks” screen).

Once the new datalink was added, back in RSlogix5000 while offline I opened the “Modules Properties” window for the PF700S drive in question. I then performed a “Match Drive”. Once finished the new program was downloaded to the PLC then put back online.

When returning to DriveExecutive, it was first noticed that parameter 12 had an extremely large number in it (instead of a number between 0-1). When the drive was started it went to max speed reference.

It seemed the only way to correct the problem was to remove the datalink from DriveExecutive, redo the “Match Drive” and download to the PLC again…..then once again add the datalink in DE and try again. Eventually the datalink began working and showing the correct value.

However once corrected, the parameters 13 (SpeedRef2 Multi) as well 32 (Accel1) and 33 (Decel1) started showing large numbers. None of these parameters were touched (although all 3 are input datalinks from the PLC).

The only way we managed to correct the problem was to delete all of the above 4 datalinks in DE, redo the “Match Drive” and download to the PLC,,,,,,then each individual datalink was added one at a time to DE.

This seemed to correct the problem (for now).