Help w/SLC505 DH485 Passthru for a Panelview Standard and Panelbuilder

CeeDee

Hello. Before I get chewed out, I did do a search on here for some SL505 passthru help. I noticed there was a small handful of information on this. But, I couldn't find anything that helps my particular situation. I could just be missing something really simple. Here is what I got...

I have a SLC505 (1747-L552) with channel 1 (ethernet) wired straight up to our field laptop. Channel 0, RS232 is configured for DH485. I have a AB CP3 cable going to a 1747-NET-AIC from that channel 0 of the SLC505. From the NET-AIC I have RS485 going to the panelview 600 standard.

With some help from you lovely people on here, I was able to get the ethernet portion talking and configured correctly and the passthru working via the passthru routing table. I am now able to see the panelview along with the SLC505 in RSLinx with only the ethernet cable coming from channel 1 hooked up to the laptop. Awesome, great. I thought so. Buuut, I'm only able to see the panelview. I can't download a program to it. It fails out in Panelbuilder32. I go to download a program in PB32, see the PV600 within RSlinx in the download pop-up and it gets a few green checks down and just sits there, finally timing out and failing to transfer. It never even makes it to 1%. :confused: I made sure I have the two status bits in the SLC set correctly to allow DH485. I have channel 0 under channel configuration set to DH485. The routing table has the IP address of the laptop in it.

Now... I can have the ethernet hooked up to the laptop to download and view the SLC program AND have the DH485 network hooked up to the laptop via the usb 1747-UIC adapter and I can download to the PV600 that way. But it just seems weird having so much wired up where it should all be talking with that passthru enabled.

Am I missing something really simple here? How about the passthru link IDs? How do those work exactly? I haven't touched those. :unsure:

Last edited:
I don't think you're missing anything obvious. With PanelView Standard and SLC channel-to-channel passthrough, the statement "I can do X, but not the opposite" is pretty common.

I've heard the failure to download blamed on firewall software, and on having RSLinx Classic's Ethernet driver set for Manual startup instead of Automatic.

I've also been told that the DH485 PanelView needs to have its program deleted before it will accept a download via Passthru.

The SLC's two channels should have different Link IDs; that's pretty straightforward. I've even read in the Knowledgebase that all the SLCs on the Ethernet need unique Link IDs.

If all that's not enough to make you reach for a flash memory card, I don't know what is.

If all that's not enough to make you reach for a flash memory card, I don't know what is.
Haha. That just might! Geez. I didn't know it was that quirky.

I'll at least try a couple of stuff you did mention. I do have all the drivers configured in RSLinx, set to manual or disabled so they wouldn't all just start trying to access stuff having possible port conflicts. I noticed the UIC driver I use (for DH485) always starts running upon rslinx startup even if I have it set to manual. I always have to go in and stop it as soon as I load up rslinx.

Thanks Ken! (y)

I've heard the failure to download blamed on firewall software, and on having RSLinx Classic's Ethernet driver set for Manual startup instead of Automatic.

With that statement alone and trying an upload from the PV first, I got it to work. I have now idea what the frack?!

I am looking into a memory card now, though. :D

Thanks, again Ken!

I seem to recall a few dozen moons ago, that when I upgraded from Win XP SP2 to SP3 and/or a certain version of RSLinx, my DH485 passthrough stopped working.

+1 for the PMCIA card, or PMCIA to CF adapter and a handful of the smallest sized CF memory cards you can find. There are too many variables with passthrough of any type but unless you have an ancient Panelview standard, you can always get 'er done with a memory card.

The true antiques require a special type of card. Somewhere in the forum, Master Ken provides a great breakdown on the exact details including which firmware and which cards work. If you desire all the facts, search for "linear flash", "ata type", "Ken Roach"...

I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that Google searches for archaic automation technology are made more effective by using my name as a keyword.