Backup of Simatic OP3 and OP27

russg

Hi,

I'm working on a machine with these two HMI screens, but we do not have any back up. I believe it is possible to take a snap-shot of the image file from uploading from the screens. Am I correct in thinking this? And will this be useful to download to a new screen if the current one fails?

Thanks

Russ

The Prosave utility can upload in image from OP27 that can be downloaded to another OP27.
No such possibility for OP3.
For OP27, the problem is how to get the spare OP27 panel. You may have to turn to resellers or ebay.

The Prosave utility can upload in image from OP27 that can be downloaded to another OP27.
No such possibility for OP3.
For OP27, the problem is how to get the spare OP27 panel. You may have to turn to resellers or ebay.

OK, thanks once again Jesper, and good point about the sourcing of the OP27. When I've uploaded the image, is it possible to look at tags and the way the screen has been programmed?

No, it is just an image.

Based on the other thread, I am guessing you are looking at an ancient S5 system with no source code.
My advice, dont try to extend the life of the obsolete system. Replace it.

The other thread is actually for a S7 PLC, but yes I have no back up files for that system.

What modern siemens HMI's would you recommend to replace these two? I'm looking at the Comfort Panels and they seem quite good?

Comfort panels are exclusively programmed with TIA.
Apart from that I find them very good and surprisingly inexpensive.

Due to Siemens having stopped the previous generation panels, and is forcing us onto TIA, I am suggesting a PC RT instead of a panel.
A PC RT is till programmable with WinCC Flexible so you can transition to TIA when you are ready.

Only if you need to have the operators access the system from a dirty location in the field would I recommend a panel.

No, it is just an image.

Based on the other thread, I am guessing you are looking at an ancient S5 system with no source code.
My advice, dont try to extend the life of the obsolete system. Replace it.

Comfort panels are exclusively programmed with TIA.
Apart from that I find them very good and surprisingly inexpensive.

Due to Siemens having stopped the previous generation panels, and is forcing us onto TIA, I am suggesting a PC RT instead of a panel.
A PC RT is till programmable with WinCC Flexible so you can transition to TIA when you are ready.

Only if you need to have the operators access the system from a dirty location in the field would I recommend a panel.

Ok thanks Jesper. What is a PC RT? And when you say panel, do you mean panelview?

By "panel" I mean an operator panel like OP27 or KP700.

"PC RT" is the HMI program developed with WinCC Flexible or WinCC TIA, that can run on a Windows PC. It is just like a HMI program running on an operator panel.
You need WinCC Flexible "Advanced" or WinCC "Advanced" to develop a PC RT.

By "panel" I mean an operator panel like OP27 or KP700.

"PC RT" is the HMI program developed with WinCC Flexible or WinCC TIA, that can run on a Windows PC. It is just like a HMI program running on an operator panel.
You need WinCC Flexible "Advanced" or WinCC "Advanced" to develop a PC RT.

Ok, thank you Jesper. I've used WinCC Flex quite a bit in the past, so it would be good if I can use that to program new panels for this project. I like the look of the Comfort panles though and I think they would be good for this machine.

I've used WinCC Flex quite a bit in the past, so it would be good if I can use that to program new panels for this project.
For WinCC Flexible you will be limited to PC RT and a few basic panels such as KTP600. You can still get some of the x77 panels, but the price will be excessive.

For WinCC Flexible you will be limited to PC RT and a few basic panels such as KTP600. You can still get some of the x77 panels, but the price will be excessive.

I see. if I were to go for a Comfort Panel and program with TIA, would that mean I need to covert the S7-300 into a TIA format, or would this work fine on an MPI/DP coms? I'm assuming it will all work ok?

Also, do you know if the HMI software comes as standard with TIA Portal V13 Professional?

if I were to go for a Comfort Panel and program with TIA, would that mean I need to covert the S7-300 into a TIA format, or would this work fine on an MPI/DP coms?
You can continue to use the S7-300 with STEP7 classic.
You can decide to either define the PLC tags manually. Or you can connect to the PLC tags by means of a "proxy controller" in the WinCC Project.

Also, do you know if the HMI software comes as standard with TIA Portal V13 Professional?
WinCC Compact for the Basic panels is included. You need WinCC Standard for the Comfort panels, and WinCC Advanced for the PC RT.

Thanks for all your help Jesper. I've got many things to think about now. I'd like to go with the newer ones, but that would also mean a Profinet card needs to be installed on the PLC, which is obviously more cost.