Where to start?

Jguerrero225

Hello all,
I will start by saying sorry if this is a noobish question, or if I have posted this in the wrong section, but here goes.
I am looking to learn more about PLCs. I have some basic knowledge and wish to expand it. I am an EE and have about 4 years experience. I guess my real question is what is the most common brand for me to learn. Should I do Allen Bradley, Siemens, Fanuc? Also I am looking for classes to attend and would appreciate some input. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum,

This type of question has been asked many times before so you might want to do a search on the site for this type of info.

There is a simulator at the top of the page that you might want to look into. As far as classes Ron Beaufort's PLC Boot Camp comes very highly recommended. I have never attended his class but would like to. I have doing PLC's for years and have 0 doubt that Ron could teach me several new things. If you do a search for him on You Tube you will find several of his Videos to give you a idea on his teaching methods.

As far as Manufactures: AB has a pretty big share of the market in North America but outside of here Siemens has a pretty good lead. Once you learn one it makes it much easier to learn a different brand. I am partial to AB but that is what I have learned on so I am biased.

If I were you I would look into buying a used small PLC that you can do some programming and testing on. If the $$ is coming out of your own pocket I would look for a product that has free software. Allen Bradley Micrologix 1000 & 1100 are programmed with RSlogix 500 and you can download a free version that will work with only those processors. You can find the ML 1000 and 1100 on Ebay pretty cheap. One of the forum members, Geniustraining has a web site plccable.com that builds PLC trainers. I would check his site out.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the $$ is coming out of my pocket. I have heard of Ron Beaufort and am seriously considering going to one of his classes. I just don't know which yet.

There is no substitute for cubic inches real hardware:
http://www.plccable.com/plc-trainers-kits/?price_min=0&price_max=464&sort=featured

Or build your own:
http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...lers/CLICK_Series_PLCs_(Stackable_Micro_Brick)

And A/B education is a sure thing so get the free stuff and emulator for practice too:
http://www.rockwellautomation.com/rockwellautomation/support/plc/micrologix.page

But before you get too deep in it, watch these videos in order, preferably with real hardware and software to tinker with along the way:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGzS56y9k4eYr1uS3jPPxGunBTtPcS3Ez

Welcome to the forum.

I would look in your area for what plc's are used in your area. if it's Omron, then that's what you need to learn. also, what plc distributors are in your area?

when you get into industry, see what's being used. Don't use another brand of plc in the plant just because that's what you know. Learn from maintenance and ask questions. What do they like to see in a plc program?

They are a wealth of knowledge and can be either your best friend or your worst enemy.

Working with maintenance and discussing projects in regards to the program
allows them to have input and also learn in the process. they will be more comfortable in their role of maintenance / trouble shooting.

But, if you throw a project at them without any training, no prints, no documentation at all, then the machine will never run. GUESS who gets all the maintenance calls 24/7 - you do!!

I worked with several in engineering who just wanted to throw the machine at maintenance, NO prints - their maintenance, let them figure it out.

I did the opposite. I worked with maintenance, gave them manuals, prints, everything. Rarely got calls.

regards,
james

As many others have said, AB is by far the most common PLC brand found in the US. If you want the most opportunities, AB knowledge will probably take you the farthest.

However, there can be an advantage to learning a less common PLC brand. At least in my area (MI), there is high demand for programmers who know more than just AB, and companies often have to pay more to find them. Companies consider AB programmers a dime a dozen, whereas they struggle to find programmers with experience in Siemens or other PLC brands.

Ultimately, you're just at the beginning of your journey now, and the fact that you're making the first step is probably more important than which direction it goes. Once you've learned the basics of your first PLC family, it should be much easier to pick up another.

Try to get on a *real* project. You will learn much quickly and learn stuff that's necessary for a control system rather than just programming. Also, get good in desktop PC support and basic networking knowledge.

Long long time ago, I was work in a plant and express my desire to do "control stuff". I was then tasked with a DCS system upgrade with zero experience.... i feel old now..