Arcnet Network Card Drivers

russg

Hi,

I'm looking for driver installation files for an Arcnet card. The card is a ASIA1517A made by Advanet Inc.

Does anyone know anything about these cards?

Thanks

ArcNet Drivers

Hi @russg,

Can you share your experience on Arcnet and were you able to get a generic driver for Arcnet. What i wanted to know was if you replace your specific make arcnet card (in your case Advanet) with another card do you need to reprogram your application which makes calls to the driver to work with different make Arcnet card under Windows environment ?

What i have understood that Windows stopped their support for Arcnet in their NDIS driver after Windows NT thus every one had to make their own kernel driver , however if you make it, or use their specific dll files to a specific brand card then you may need to rewrite you application if you are going to plug in another make card. This is what i understood.

My question is how have you handled this situation to ensure your application is generic which can handle any brand arcnet card irrespective of the make as long as the protocol controller chip is the same. Could you throw some light on this please!

I assume your Arcnet card is some sort of PC expansion card? We still have a large ArcNet data collection system for old product weighers that are still in service. When they upgraded the data server they went to a USB ArcNet converter. One end of the box connects to the ArcNet, the other end plugs into a USB port.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but there is equipment available to do this if you can't get the old card to work. I see Contemporary Controls has one that is very similar.

Last edited:
Hi Iraiam,

Yes the ArcNet Card is a PCI or PCIe slot based, in the above case i have put forward. The thread initiator's card could be ISA based...

In your case when they upgraded the data server they would have also used the dll files provided by the USB Arcnet converter manufacturer.

If you try to unplug that USB arcnet brand and use another brand, your data server programs wont work any more for Arcnet data collection and hang unless it is reprogrammed to use the new dll provided by the new brand you would like to test. Here i am assuming that your Data Server is on Windows Platform and is greater version than WIndows XP (Windows 7 , 8, 10 Etc). If it is in an another operating system then the issue may be different. The reason being that Windows stopped supporting arcnet in their NDIS driver (Kernel driver) after Windows NT. I am also exploring for a kernel driver which can be generic....i wish the Arcnet committee had taken care of such standards and not ignored , i.e if they exist at the first place...

Please feel free to correct me and also share your views.

Last edited: