Looking for 4-20 ma Flow Meter for liquid. Flow rate 1200 gpm

Rob S.

I have been searching Efector , Omega , Dwyer , etc. looking for a 4-20 ma Flow Meter to sense 0 to 1200 GPM in a 8" PVC. I would like to just drill and tap for maybe a Thermal Flow Sensor , or maybe a paddle type meter. Have any of you used many Flow Meters , and if so , which manufactures ? I am looking to see the flow of water.

Thanks so much for your help.

If you are measuring clean water an averaging pitot tube and DP transmitter may be your most economical and reliable solution.

We use a lot of Kamstrup inline flow meters, in combination with their Multical units, mostly for energy metering.

Sometimes we use Siemens units.

Insertion Flow Meters

Hello,

First and foremost, allow me to say that my forte is specifically flow measurement. PLC work comes as an added perk to that.

I would steer clear of ultrasonic technology. I've seen some that are great, but most are terrible.

My suggestion would be a DWM2000 from Krohne, which is an insertion style mag meter. Runs about $2000, plus $150 if you want a display.

Other options are insertion turbines, such as Blancett or a bunch of other manufacturers.

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

Ethan

From your search, I'm guessing your not looking at very high end. We have quite a few Signet paddle flowmeters in 6-8" PVC lines that seem to work pretty well and fairly cheap. I think they have different models with either pulse or analog out.

I would steer clear of ultrasonic technology. I've seen some that are great, but most are terrible.

Amen, brother!

I wouldn't trust a Ultrasonic as far as I could throw it. And the mag is a good choice, as long as your medium is conductive (otherwise get used to seeing "Empty pipe? on your display :) )

Tom,

I would like to know who's pitot tubes you're buying that are economical. Rosemount's and Yokogawa's are astronomical.

I'veused both Omega Engineering and Dwyer Instruments. The real cost with Rosemont is in the transmitter, but lots of folks make dp transmitters with square root.

And as a sidebar, my ultrasonic experience is also unsatisfactory.

I have been searching Efector , Omega , Dwyer , etc. looking for a 4-20 ma Flow Meter to sense 0 to 1200 GPM in a 8" PVC. I would like to just drill and tap for maybe a Thermal Flow Sensor , or maybe a paddle type meter. Have any of you used many Flow Meters , and if so , which manufactures ? I am looking to see the flow of water.

Thanks so much for your help.

We have had great success with Siemens, but have found that Flexim is even better. Both are Ultrasonic.

I have it narrowed down to the GF Signet 2551 Magmeter . What do you guys think of this flow meter ?

Thanks,

I've seen a few of these in the field, but only ever worked with one. My customer called us in to calibrate the unit after they had purchased and installed, and I found it had a max 25% accuracy error with a 10% linearity error.

The meter was installed properly, and I checked the line for vapor / air. Couldn't find any issue.

They ended up soaking the electronics that night, so I never really got to the bottom of it and just replaced it with a meter out of my truck stock.

I feel like it was probably and isolated incident, but I can't say for sure.