Wondering if someone could give me a bit more general information on DCS and SCADA

mandydick

Hi guys! Newbie question or you. I'm just finishing up a diploma in Industrial Automation. But I am job hunting and I'd some clarification. We haven't taken SCADA yet. But I have a background in communications. I've dealt with remote I/O radio and wireless.
But I have to know isn't a DCS system a network of PLCs? What are the main differences. Is there a manufacturer that is a good starting place for reading about the systems.
What are the most common SCADA systems. Is there a set of programming instructions or a specific platform they use or is it more like setting up a computer network that's linked yo the PLC. We used to have alarm systems where we'd punch in the I/Os and wireless devices but the software was fairly straightforward once you got everything talking. Again can you recommend a good place to start? Or a good manufacturer to start with.