PLC training

sparkie

Lifetime Supporting Member
I spoke with our Stanion rep tonight, and was asking him about PLC training. I was kind of curious as to your guys opinions on manufacturer specific training. I'm above a basic level of knowledge, and I'm wanting something to go a bit more in-depth and advanced. At the moment I can't really travel or a boot camp or anything, I have to show my worth a little before my job will send me to something like that.

When I started, many moons ago, I read every PLC user manual and programming manual I could get my hands on. This is a great way to understand the terminology and basics of the unit. You didn't mention which flavor of PLC you're exposed to, but here is a link to some A-B Logix5000 common programming procedures. This would be a bit more in depth than the processor user manual, when you get a grasp of that.

If you have access to a PLC that you can play around with, take full advantage of the opportunity.

I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos as well. I can't recommend any specifically, but a quick search of this forum will no doubt turn up some hits.

I like the crash courses that the manufactures have... they last a week or a few days and they all offer them, I have been to AB (a few), Siemens, AMK, Mitsubishi and a few others, I have also sent a few people to Ron's class (when I worked for others) and its a very good class

I have been to a few Siemens that were free one day and they gave lunch :) they are good to get to know the new products they are offering and get to know the local people, its good to have contacts

I have taken a PLC class at my local CC and advanced my knowledge beyond my instructor's (his words). It is a basic class intended to give tech's the knowledge they need to troubleshoot. I also bought a SLC500 on ebay and made quite a few (15+) of my own setups. All AB though. Though I do want to learn siemens more, I have limited time so I have to focus (and all of our siemens PLCs are in machines rather than operating our plant floor).

I also have a test bench at work, but I never have time to tinker anymore, and had limited time to begin with. I am pretty familiar with RSLogix500, and could use some training on 5k, but I'm really looking for something more in-depth. I would really like to take Ron Beauforts classes, but I don't have the money or time at the moment, however PLCs are becoming a larger part of my job at the moment, so I'm trying to pursue some more training.

Thanks for the comments so far guys!

PS: Specifically right now I want to learn about AB comms in general. The cables, the protocols and panelviews

Last edited:
I've been to 4 or 5 manufacturer trainings and they were all very different.

One was a fast paced expert level training for B&R that took several weeks. It was easily the best training ever ever had for anything as I was truly beyond just competent at the end of it (B&R's Automation Academy).

One was an informal two days one on one with a guy with a test rack to learn as much as possible about all things Rockwell. I learned quite a lot about getting connected and how Rockwell does things. I could do simple machines with HMI and uncoordinated motion by the end of the second day.

One was a few formal Rockwell classes spanning 3 weeks. This was a big waste of time, the only things I learned were about the S:FS, NOP, and AFI since no other platform I'd worked with had these. 10 seconds of knowledge stretched out over 3 weeks. These were also the most expensive training.

One was a quasi formal week on PacDrive3 which was part trying to convince me to use SFC (while at every step reinforcing my negative opinion of SFC), part advanced robotics, and part sales presentation. The robotics stuff was useful, the other stuff was not.

PS: Specifically right now I want to learn about AB comms in general. The cables, the protocols and panelviews

I can help with them... I have a LOT of customers that just call and ask, I get a few calls a day asking "what do I need for x "

This is not even close to being done but it may help http://www.plccable.com/cable-buying-guide/

Any other ones send me a email or call, I would be glad to help

For the PV's see here for the older ones http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711-um014_-en-p.pdf

This is a good read for the PLUS http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2711p-um006_-en-p.pdf

Hey GeniusInTraining, I ordered cables from yall last week and I was very impressed with the quality of what I received. I've already put the cp3 cable to use this week, and I'll be using the PM02 on the micrologix 1500 I just ordered today. Also think we're gonna order a second set for our lead automation guy this week since he's getting a new laptop and wants to go all USB. Thanks for the great product and the huge cost savings over AB brand stuff. Everyone at my mill is impressed with them.

Thanks a ton guys. Well tonight a department director just told me he has some training budget he wouldn't mind spending on me. I found out tonight I'm being promoted and will be in charge of all scale, plc and floor printer work. Scales I actually know quite a bit about, and he said my combination of computer and practical electrical knowledge makes me a great candidate, and most people he has interviewed tended to be either really good computer guys or really good electrical guys, but not both.

Long story made short, I have a lot more responsibility, but I will also be doing more of the PLC work. I am worried about being promoted to incompetence (which I know I am, and spoke with him about it), but I also know investing in training will save me many hours later in figuring out how to utilize the technology available to me. I'm at a point where if work will not pay for my training, I'll take out a loan and get the training on my own, but remember that they wouldn't help me with every payment I make :D.

Long story made short...

Congrats (y) I think at some point everyone over the age of 40 on this board has taken a bigger job then what they could handle... I worked with one guy out of Charlotte NC, years ago and the one thing I noticed is his ability to learn in a hurry, never saw a Siemens S5 written all in STL (no ladder) and that afternoon was programming it, having the ability and drive to learn will take you far

Jasondelane said:
Hey GeniusInTraining...

Very cool, thanks for the positive feed back, 99% of the time you only hear about the issues and what I did wrong, thank you very much for the business

Well, I emailed Ron Beaufort last night, and I'm hoping to get something worked out where I can attend his boot camp. I am really excited for the opportunity, but I also know my shortcomings and have a plan on how to leap over those hurdles.