Symax unknown "short" instruction

KevinO

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey. So, we are upgrading an old Symax PLC to CLX and I've come across a "SHORT" instruction in one of the ladder rungs. I've downloaded the manual and can't seem to find a reference to that instruction. Do you guys know what it does? Thanks

Thanks a lot guys. It is a 400 processor.

So, I'm not sure I get the point of it. It says that only bits 1-16 are alterable and it is always de-energized, so it cannot be altered and it is normally closed. how does it affect the logic??

It affects the logic this way : if it's always off and normally closed then it's always passing logic.
It's static and unchanging.

That's what I mean, it does nothing. Why bother putting it into the ladder logic if the PLC will process the same way, with or without it? It seems to serve no purpose.

I can't really speak to why the original programmer left it in the logic. Sometimes I have left an AFI (Always False Instruction (or Input?)) in my PLC program just because ...

Think of it like this:

In the AB world you can put an empty branch around a contact if you want to bypass it (make it irrelevant to the logic). This is a short.

In the AB world you can put an AFI instruction and it will always be false. This is an open.

Thanks again guys. I get putting an AFI or OPEN in series with a rung to void it from the program. And I also get putting an empty branch or SHORT in parallel with a rung to bypass a certain section or instruction. I don't get why a SHORT would be in series with a rung.

EX.

|--[ ]----[ ]----[/]----SHORT----------( )--|

I guess I should've mentioned that earlier, but do you get why I am confused now?

Perhaps the original programmer had OPENs in that location during debugging, then, instead of removing them, they simply changed them to SHORTs?

I find it amusing that, according to the PDF, both OPEN and SHORT are 'always de-energized', so you use a normally-closed contact to make the SHORT always true. Um, you could also do that with the OPEN bit, so why bother having two bits for this purpose? I think if I saw a --]/[--- contact with the label 'SHORT', I would read that as NOT SHORT and would expect it to solve false. Apparently, that's not the case.

🍻

-Eric

Ya, in any case, I'm pretty sure just ignoring it when programming the CLX logic, won't affect how it works. Thanks for your help again guys!