Loaded question...

Bogaat

Hi guys. I am trying to select both a controller and HMI solution. We are in the process of designing/testing water treatment solutions as well as climate/irrigation controls for greenhouse growers. I am currently using Opto22 controllers, but have serious issue with their software quality (happy with the hardware and control script). I would continue to use their hardware if I can fill in these other pieces. Ideally I would have a solution that I could drop into a client site and they instantly have web access for control of the greenhouse (assume they have internet and an Ethernet connection). If I could have a magic rack/box with controller and built in web server, that would be perfect. I need the hardware to be affordable and dependable...potentially in a warm environment. I would like the HMI solution to support html5/js and not have outrageous licensing or yearly fees. The main thing is that I don't want to add the burden of supporting a PC with web/opc servers to my clients. Think packaged solution...for a farmer (ok, a farmer with a tablet and smartphone). All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

All B&R PLCs have an integrated web server that cab do what you want. They also have units rated for use on ships, so I'm sure they can survive a greenhouse.

I use Omron PLCs and touch screens for this all the time. The advantage of having the touch screen is local control -= particularly if the phone dies or gets lost. No phone - no control. The Omron PLCs do not have web servers built in but the touch screens certainly do. The touch screens do not break down either - have never lost one - unlike some other brands.

How about a Red Lion Graphite HMI/Controller? You can attach different I/O modules that fit your scheme and you have an HMI and webserver. Powerful software and easy to use in my opinion.

Hi guys. I am trying to select both a controller and HMI solution. We are in the process of designing/testing water treatment solutions as well as climate/irrigation controls for greenhouse growers. I am currently using Opto22 controllers, but have serious issue with their software quality (happy with the hardware and control script). I would continue to use their hardware if I can fill in these other pieces. Ideally I would have a solution that I could drop into a client site and they instantly have web access for control of the greenhouse (assume they have internet and an Ethernet connection). If I could have a magic rack/box with controller and built in web server, that would be perfect. I need the hardware to be affordable and dependable...potentially in a warm environment. I would like the HMI solution to support html5/js and not have outrageous licensing or yearly fees. The main thing is that I don't want to add the burden of supporting a PC with web/opc servers to my clients. Think packaged solution...for a farmer (ok, a farmer with a tablet and smartphone). All thoughts are greatly appreciated!

ProFace HMI+Control suits all the real needs. The HTML5/JS is all propeller-head talk, to me, so you'd need to look that up. But, for under $1,200, you have the PLC, HMI, and developement software to run it all.
(The OP didn't say it had to be 'thrifty', but its replacing Opto, so, pretty much anything expensive is going to be disqualified right away, IMHO)