SLC 500 Addressing Format

Matador5

I am given a problem that wants me to create the five- digit address code using the SLC 500 format. The problems I am given are:

1. A pushbutton connected to terminal 5 of module group 2 located on rack 1
2. A lamp connected to terminal 3 of module group 0 located on rack 2

For what I understand the codes should start as follows:
1. I: /5
2. O: /3

What I dont get is how to get the slot number from the module group and rack. This seems to me like more of a PLC-5 address, but they specifically say they want it in SLC 500.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

A first word of caution: "terminal 5" does not necessarily mean "input 5". I mean, if they haven't given you a specific part number, then yes, assume terminal 5 = input 5. But with, for example, a ControlLogix, the terminal numbers do not necessarily correlate to the input/output number.

And yes, you're right so far - all that you're missing is the slot number. Slots are numbered from left to right, starting at zero, on rack 1. I'm not 100% sure how the second rack is handled on SLC, as I've not set them up personally, but if it's the same as Compact Logix, the numbering just continues on - so if you have two 10 slot racks, rack 1 will have slots 0-9, and rack 2 will have slots 10-19. But hopefully someone else will pop up and confirm or correct me on that last bit.

Or, if you do a bit of googling and find an SLC manual, you can quite possibly answer the question yourself :)

this isn't meant to be a full answer – but it should help you along the way ... this is all GUESSWORK - based on what you've posted so far - and on what I'm GUESSING that your assignment really means ...

This seems to me like more of a PLC-5 address, but they specifically say they want it in SLC 500.

since you mentioned the PLC-5 addressing scheme, then I'll assume (gosh I hate that word) that you're familiar with the RACK-GROUP-SLOT addressing mode that the PLC-5 platform uses ...

here's the trick ...

the SLC-500 platform only uses the RACK-GROUP-SLOT addressing scheme when using a REMOTE I/O setup ... this USUALLY involves using a 1747-ASB "adapter" module installed in the remote chassis – and a 1747-SN "scanner" module installed in the local (processor's) chassis ...

the pictures in this post - and in the next - should help IF (big IF) my assumptions (there's that word again) are correct ...

if this doesn't help you nail down the problem, then provide more detail ... like EXACTLY what type of hardware you're using ... IF (another big IF) you're using the 1747-ASB adapter setup, notice that the first slot in the remote chassis will NOT have a number assigned to it ...

and let us know if you have to consider using TWO-SLOT, ONE-SLOT, or HALF-SLOT addressing modes ... that would be set with DIP switches on the ASB adapter module ...

good luck with your studies ...

500_racks.PNG

Last edited:
to get this RIGHT - you really know what slot the scanner module is located in, etc. ...

more detail in your question - gets more detail in our answers ... but hopefully the hints shown here will help ...

welcome to the forum ...

500_racks_rung.PNG