SLC500 5/03 Upload without project

mitchknights

All,

I have been asked by a customer to try and upload from a SLC500 5/03 processor without having the offline project. I'm not overly familiar with the SLC500 hardware as traditionally all my customers run ControlLogix, Fanuc and Schneider hardware. I had a few spare 5/05 CPU's at the shop and thought id test before heading to site, I had no issue setting up the RS232 DF1 driver in RSlinx and performing an auto configure. Getting online and uploading the existing project, I did lose all tag names and comments but i expected this.

After getting to site and having a look I found that both channels are being used. The RJ45 port to a third party HMI (Proface? never come across the brand) and the RS232 port to a production monitoring system. This is where i've had no luck. I've been using a Keyspan 19HS USB to Serial and a null modem cable to try and communicate but no joy. I've done a bit of research and come across a few different things to try but had no luck.

I'm hoping someone that has a bit more SLC500 knowledge can shed some light? If the RS232 port has been configured to communicate via 485 I'm guessing the RS232 DF1 driver will not work? Also read that a standard USB to Serial will not work, If I purchase a 1747-UIC will that work? Also i have concerns that the existing vendor may have security locked the logic, does this lock down the ports to prevent going online?

Finally some software details, Windows XP virtual machine in side a windows 7 laptop, RS linx 2.59.01 & RSLogix 500 8.2.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers Mitchell.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

On the SLC 5/03, the top RJ45 port, Channel 1, is DH-485 protocol only, using RS-485 wiring, and cannot be set for any other protocol (driver). So that port is using DH-485 to the Proface HMI.

The bottom RS-232 port, Channel 0, is configurable and can be set for DH-485, DF1, Modbus RTU Master, etc.

The "Keyspan 19HS USB to Serial and a null modem cable" is usually reliable and should work ok for DF1, and you know it worked on the SLC 5/05. It's more likely that Channel 0 is set to something other than DF1, like DH-485.

The 1747-UIC that you've mentioned is a USB to DH-485 interface converter. Besides the USB port, it has both an RJ-45 port and an RS-232 port, which are selectable via a switch. On the SLC 5/03, you can either use it with a 1747-C13 RJ45<>RJ45 cable to connect to Channel 1, or with a 1747-CP3 RS-232<>RS-232 cable to connect to Channel 0.

It should always work with Channel 1 on an SLC 5/03, but Channel 0 would, of course, have to be set for DH-485 protocol to use the 1747-UIC.

If this monitoring system is some distance away, then it's most likely that RS-485 wiring was used. If so, then Channel 0 is most likely set for DH-485 and there would most likely be an interface nearby the SLC. I'm talking 1747-AIC or 1761-NET-AIC? The SLC port will have a short cable out into this interface and the RS-485 field cabling will head out off another terminated port on the interface.

As it's using DH-485, it is also possible that Channel 1 is connected to an interface before going to the Proface HMI. It depends on the installer, the distance and/or what the Proface connection options are.

Depending on the customer's business, if you do have to tap into a running process, and all ports are in use on a controller, then the port the HMI is connected to is usually the safest option if they can live without it for the duration. So the 1747-UIC option is probably your best option here, and it's never any harm having one knocking around. I have two.

Another thing the likes of the 3 port 1761-NET-AIC interface is useful for is providing another port to connect your PC to without unplugging anything at the controller. If using DH-485, there is usually a serial cable from the processor and a field cable connected, then there should be one serial port still free. You could connect a 1747-UIC to this port and not upset anything.

But if using DF1, then the AIC could simply be acting as an isolator between two devices using DF1. Hence, both serial ports would be used up.

I'll stop now before I think up any more permutations to bamboozle you with!

Regards,
George

I'll stop now before I think up any more permutations to bamboozle you with!

WAIT George... more, depending on the Proface connected so of them have a pass-through so maybe you can connect to the HMI and see the PLC?

Also as George stated the monitoring system can be DH485 but I have worked on several systems that have had just a single channel RS232 (df1) going to another HMI running RSView

Mark,

Really I suppose anything is possible here without knowing the "monitoring system", but the Proface pass-thru sounds a distinct possibility alright.

Good spot.

G.