GE VersaMax going online

mehrdad

Hi,

I am trying to upload program from a GE VersaMax (IC200CPUE05) PLC through its built in Ethernet network using Proficy Machine Edition.
I was wondering now that I haven't got the program and want to upload it, is it possible to do this through the Ethernet port (or Have to do it through the serial port)? and if yes, then where in Proficy should I enter the PLC's current IP address so I can go online with. doest it need to be set under Utility -> Set Temporary IP Address?

Thanks

You can always use the serial port as long as you have one on the computer running PME. I have successfully communicated using an inexpensive USB/serial converter from Staples. The 15-pin port is RS485. The 9-pin is RS232. Be aware that both ports can be disabled in hardware configuration by the original programmer, although both default to enabled. To use the serial port for communications, click on the PLC target in the Navigator window and look at the target properties. Under "Physical port", select the COM port number assigned to your USB/serial converter.

If you know the IP address of the Ethernet port, got to the target properties in the Navigator window, under "Physical port" select Ethernet and enter the IP address.

If you don't know the IP address you can use the "Set temporary IP address" tool. You will need to read the MAC ID from the CPU module. Be careful about your choice of a temporary IP address. The tool associates the selected temporary IP address with the MAC ID in your computer's ARP table. If you are using that same IP address on some other piece of equipment you will not be able to connect to it after using the tool until you edit the ARP table.

You can always use the serial port as long as you have one on the computer running PME. I have successfully communicated using an inexpensive USB/serial converter from Staples. The 15-pin port is RS485. The 9-pin is RS232. Be aware that both ports can be disabled in hardware configuration by the original programmer, although both default to enabled. To use the serial port for communications, click on the PLC target in the Navigator window and look at the target properties. Under "Physical port", select the COM port number assigned to your USB/serial converter.

If you know the IP address of the Ethernet port, got to the target properties in the Navigator window, under "Physical port" select Ethernet and enter the IP address.

If you don't know the IP address you can use the "Set temporary IP address" tool. You will need to read the MAC ID from the CPU module. Be careful about your choice of a temporary IP address. The tool associates the selected temporary IP address with the MAC ID in your computer's ARP table. If you are using that same IP address on some other piece of equipment you will not be able to connect to it after using the tool until you edit the ARP table.
Thanks Steve for the reply.
I set the IP address as you described and managed to upload the program without any problem.

you mentioned that you can go online with the GE PLCs using a cheap USB to serial converter.
is this the case with all GE PLCs or only VersaMax?
Because I have tried going online with GE 90-30 PLCs using normal USB to serial converters and it has never worked. I use my old laptop with Actual serial port to go online with 90-30 PLCs. I know there is one type of Express Card slot to serial convertor which works with GE 90-30 and I have tried that once before, but my own laptop hasn't got the Express Card slot, so i cannot use that either.
what USB to serial convertre do you use?

thanks again

I have used the USB to serial converter I purchased at Staples for Series 90-30, VersaMax, VersaMax Micro and RX3I. I fully expect it will also work with Rx7I and 90-70. Prior to purchasing the converter from Staples I had one from Radio Shack that also worked fine, but Radio Shack never provided a driver for Windows 7 so I can only use it on my older Windows XP laptop.

The only piece of GEIP equipment that the Staples converter doesn't work with is to download a configuration to a VersaMax Genius NIU using the special serial cable that plugs into the side of the Genius NIU. I have only been able to that using a laptop with a real serial port.

The most common problem I've encountered is that people fail to choose the correct COM port. The USB to serial converter may install itself at a high COM port number rather than COM1 or COM2. You should open Device Manager to see what COM port the converter is assigned to and select that in the communications setup in the target properties.