Proficy Machine Edition and SLC 5/03

ProJewks

Hello,

I'm fairly new at using Proficy Machine Edition, but I have worked with RSLogix before. I have logic in a SLC 5/03, and I'm looking to create an HMI on Proficy Machine Edition. I am going to display the HMI with the QuickPanel View.

I have created a general layout of how I want the display to look, but I'm confused as to how to add the tags from RSLogix to Proficy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

J

In the Proficy project Navigator window, under "PLC Access Drivers", the "View Native Drivers", did you create a driver using "AB TCP/IP"? By default, it would be named "Device1", but you can rename it.

Using that driver you use the same syntax for variable naming as you use in the Logix tag table.

Under View Native Drivers, I selected AB DF1. The 5/03 doesn't have TCP/IP I believe and uses rs232 or rs485. I'm wondering, if I have created buttons, can I link those buttons to the same naming convention as what I have on a drawing (i.e. I:1/00, I:1/01, etc.)

I'm sorry for being very vague. If you need more info let me know.

Sorry, I was thinking RSLogix5000, not RSLogix500.

When you assign a variable to the device associated with the DF1 driver there is an address field in the variable's properties window. When you click on the button on the right side of the field you get a popup that you can fill in with the address data. You can also type in the address just as you would enter it in RSLogix, for example B3:0/5.

Also, be sure that you select SLC500 as the PLC type in the driver configuration.

In addition, when you type in the address, Proficy Machine Edition won't turn a semicolon into a colon the way RSLogix500 will.

Last edited:
Hey I've enabled a Fill Color Animation and in the box right below where you can select colors for off and on I've entered I1:3/01. All the I/O I want to test are simple Inputs and Outputs. I have one output labeled O0:4/00. I'm still getting errors saying that they're invalid. I was sure to select SLC 500.

Thanks.

You can't enter an address in the animation properties. You have to enter a variable name there.

The only place you can enter the address is in the properties of the variable.

So, if you want to change the color of the box based on the state of I1:3/01 you must first create a Boolean variable whose data source is "PLC Access" and that uses the PLC communications device driver you created for the DF1 protocol. Assign the PLC address to that variable. Then in the color animation properties of the box you enter the variable name instead of the address.

Last edited:
For online assistance with your protocol select the menu item 'Help' > Search > then copy-n-paste Allen-Bradley SLC500 DF1 Variable I/O Address into the search box and click "List Topics". This will give you all the information you should need.

I am currently trying to get those addresses to work, and will come back to update my work. I do have a side question. I will be downloading the HMI project to a QuickPanel View (IC754VSF15CTD). I did find paperwork to connect it to a SLC 500 series PLC, but I did want to confirm whether or not I needed the adapter, HMI-CAB-C117, to hook the PLC to the QuickView Panel. I did remember reading that the panel did have that protocol, I'm just unsure if I can connect directly, or I have to use the adapter.

Any other information you need, let me know.

Thanks!

The HMI-CAB-C117 is for: AIC+ Advanced Interface Cnvtr DH485 Port 3 HMI-CAB-C117
See this for more options:

Update

You can't enter an address in the animation properties. You have to enter a variable name there.

The only place you can enter the address is in the properties of the variable.

So, if you want to change the color of the box based on the state of I1:3/01 you must first create a Boolean variable whose data source is "PLC Access" and that uses the PLC communications device driver you created for the DF1 protocol. Assign the PLC address to that variable. Then in the color animation properties of the box you enter the variable name instead of the address.

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I got side tracked with another project at the end of the week. I see that you want me to create a Boolean variable. However, I'm not using Proficy to create the logic. How would I go about creating the tag then attaching the tag to the animation.

Thank you and sorry for being quite clueless!

You're not creating a new tag in the PLC, you're creating a new variable (tag) in the Quick Panel. At the bottom of the project navigator window, open the "Variables" tab. It's the tab to the left of the big question mark. Right click on the list of variables, select "New Variable" and the "BOOL". Name the new variable anything you want (the name will default to "BOOL") and then change the source for "Internal" to "PLC Access". Then select the DF1 driver and type in the address. Use you variable name in the animation properties instead of the address.

Last edited:
I've got it! Thank you. Will update if any other issues arise. I do have a side question. If connecting the PLC via RS232 is the protocol DF1 and if connected via RS485, the protocol is DH+?